Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HARD DRIVE DE-PARTITIONING

• Please log in to reply

twinsl

twinsl

• PipPip
  • 44 posts
HI, DON'T KNOW IF I'M IN THE RIGHT SPOT BUT I WAS WONDERING IF I CAN GET SOME HELP MERGING THE PARTITIONS OF MY HARD DRIVE WITHOUT LOSING ANYTHING. I HAVE A HUGE PART ONE THE ONE PARTITION THAT HAS NOTHING ON IT AND THE SMALLER PARTITION IS FILLING UP. THANKS FOR ANY HELP.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

There are a couple of ways of doing this without losing data. One is to use Partition Magic (or similar), which you have to pay for, the other is to use a freeware (open source) utility. An example of one of these is NTFS Resizer (I'm assuming your drive is formatted with NTFS but you had better check first). You can download NTFS Resizer from this link :

http://mlf.linux.rul...ntfsresize.html

WARNING : I haven't personally used this utility & therefore cannot vouch for it's safety or effectiveness. If you have any drive imaging software for backing up your partitions first, then I strongly advise you do so.

twinsl

twinsl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
THANKS SAMM FOR YOUR QUICK RESPONSE. THE SMALLER PARTITION IS FORMATTED FAT32 AND THE LARGER PARTITION IS NTFS. WHAT DOES THIS DO TO ME?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
In that case, what I suggest you do, is delete the large empty partition, then simply resize the smaller FAT32 partition to fill the empty space. Afterwards, you can then convert the entire partition to NTFS if you wish.

The other method you could use is the reverse of this - i.e Convert the smaller partition to NTFS first, then merge it with the larger partition.

Either of the two utilities I mentioned should be able to cope with this. The conversion from FAT32 to NTFS however, can be performed by XP's disk management utility.

twinsl

twinsl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
Thanks Samm. I converted the small drive to NTFS yesterday and will now use the program you suggested to bring both drives together. Thanks a million for your help!

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
You're welcome. Let me know how you get on