Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP ADD/REMOVE IS DEAD?!?!?!

• Please log in to reply

tiffin

tiffin

• PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
hey i tried getting into add remove programs the other day and its been like this ever since you will click into it the box will appear but no programs will be there for you to add/remove you know. so its just a blank box and obviously there are things to add and remove still so im confused and aggrevated. anyone have any ides???

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tiffin...

Are System Restore, Help, and Control Panel also empty, or just Add or Remove Programs?

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
no i can get into my control panel where i see everything i click on add/remove programs and nothing comes up just the box with a grey border at the top

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi tiffin...

Click Start, then Run, type cmd, and click "Ok".

At the prompt in the Command Window, type regsvr32 appwiz.cpl, and press "Enter".

Does this help?

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 March 2006 - 09:40 PM.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
no wannabe sorry that didnt work what it exactly says is
the box appears and says Change or Remove Programs or Add Programs you know what it normally does then there is a thick grey bar on the left side and where there are supposed to be programs its all white and blank

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
No worries...there are several things left to try. :tazz:

What version of Internet Explorer are you running? I'll need to know this for the next step.

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
im using mozilla fire fox

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
wannabe1 will still need to know what version of IE you have. Open up Internet explorer, even though you don't normally use it, click on Help > About Internet Explorer and copy the version number down.

Post that number for wannabe1.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok thx wannabe the thing is this is all it says here, beside version it is blank so

Based on NCSA Mosaic. NCSA Mosaic™; was developed at the National Center for Supercomputing Applications at the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign.
Distributed under a licensing agreement with Spyglass, Inc.
Contains security software licensed from RSA Data Security Inc.
Portions of this software are based in part on the work of the Independent JPEG Group.
Multimedia software components, including Indeo®; video, Indeo® audio, and Web Design Effects are provided by Intel Corp.
Unix version contains software licensed from Mainsoft Corporation. Copyright © 1998-1999 Mainsoft Corporation. All rights reserved. Mainsoft is a trademark of Mainsoft Corporation.
Warning: This computer program is protected by copyright law and international treaties. Unauthorized reproduction or distribution of this program, or any portion of it, may result in severe civil and criminal penalties, and will be prosecuted to the maximum extent possible under the law.

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
for mozilla the version number is

version 1.5.0.1

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Wellllll...That didn't offer much of a clue as to version.... :tazz:

Let's see if we can figure it out. Get this Microsoft download of IE6 SP1...save it to your desktop. Double click the downloaded file to start the installation. If you have version 6 already on the machine, it won't install. If you are running 5.5 or below, it will...let it.

Let me know either way on this as the commands I want to use in the next procedure are completely different for the two versions.

wannabe1

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
ok it downloaded the updates at that thing so ya it finished downloading i hope it gives you your answer

computerwiz12890

computerwiz12890

Fixer-upper guy

• Retired Staff
  • 1,807 posts
And after you downloaded it, did you double-click on it and install it? Was it successful with installing, or did it say you have the newest version already?

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
it downloaded successfully that is it, it didnt say i already had it or whatever

tiffin

tiffin

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
any news or any fixers for this problem yet???

also my windows media player wont download it says there is an error every time i try to download or even open it, thats for anyone if you can ask another question in this thread but im still loooking for the add remove fixer

thx