Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Free Software

• Please log in to reply

Granz00

Granz00

• PipPipPip
  • 226 posts
KLite Codec Pack VS VLC Media Player

Go with KLite, I was a big user of VLC for a few years, then I was told to switch to KLite. I thought there were problems with the files that I was trying to play on VLC but the problem was with VLC itself. To make this story short, VLC handles certain subtitle extensions the wrong way. This can cause it to overlap and other annoying things. KLite handles the subtitles the right way.

P.S. Unless I missed it, I didn't notice any freeware for driver updates. Any suggestions? If I missed it then just tell me so and I will reread, but I'm at work right now so I was limited on time.

Edited by Granz00, 30 July 2008 - 11:32 AM.

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
For driver updates just go to your computer manurfactures website and they should have a auto scan option to find the right drivers for you,

JayBern

JayBern

• PipPipPip
  • 501 posts
Any recommendable hard drive defragment-software for Vista?

Essexboy

Essexboy

GeekU Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 69,964 posts
Auslogics I use it on my system

Seltox

Seltox

• PipPipPip
  • 254 posts
I havn't been through the entire thread to see if this is here yet, but I just found it myself and it has been incredible useful for me.

Format Factory. It does File Format conversion.

FormatFactory is a multifunctional media converter.
Provides functions below:
All to MP4/3GP/MPG/AVI/WMV/FLV/SWF.
All to MP3//WMA/MMF/AMR/OGG/M4A/WAV.
All to JPG/BMP/PNG/TIF/ICO/....
Rip DVD to video file.
MP4 files support iPod/iPhone/PSP/BlackBerry format.
Source files support RMVB.

FormatFactory's Feature:
1 support converting all popular video,audio,picture formats to others.
2 Repair damaged video and audio file.
3 Reducing Multimedia file size.
4 Support iphone,ipod multimedia file formats.
5 Picture converting supports Zoom,Rotate/Flip,tags.
6 DVD Ripper.

SHATO

SHATO

SPAMMER

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Post removed - this thread is for free software.

Edited by sari, 11 September 2008 - 02:34 AM.

Scorpio12

Scorpio12

Banned

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Oh, some freeware is just I am looking for, thanks for the list, that's really helpful! :)

sgsnoopy

sgsnoopy

• PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
http://www.icsharpco.../OpenSource/SD/

Not exactly a good replacement for MS Visual Studio, but for those who does a lot of VB programming, it's a fine product. :)

DanielleNK

DanielleNK

• Pip
  • 7 posts

I havn't been through the entire thread to see if this is here yet, but I just found it myself and it has been incredible useful for me.

Format Factory. It does File Format conversion.

Just what I was looking for! Thanks!

cmpm

cmpm

• PipPipPip
  • 561 posts
VLC is back up to speed with it's latest version
though I prefer windows media player classic
vlc will do some things wmc can't

vlc-i don't have it as the default player, and recommend you don't
seems to be a mistake, keeping vlc's icon on the file when it's not the default

http://www.videolan.org/

i use k-lite with the wmc in it
default install

http://www.filehippo...ite_mega_codec/

Advertisements

==SpuD==

==SpuD==

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 691 posts
Not sure if its already on here or not but anyway

TrueCrypt

Free open-source disk encryption software for Windows Vista/XP, Mac OS X, and Linux
Main Features:

* Creates a virtual encrypted disk within a file and mounts it as a real disk.

* Encrypts an entire partition or storage device such as USB flash drive or hard drive.

* Encrypts a partition or drive where Windows is installed (pre-boot authentication).

* Encryption is automatic, real-time (on-the-fly) and transparent.

* Provides two levels of plausible deniability, in case an adversary forces you to reveal the password:

1) Hidden volume (steganography) and hidden operating system.

2) No TrueCrypt volume can be identified (volumes cannot be distinguished from random data).

* Encryption algorithms: AES-256, Serpent, and Twofish. Mode of operation: XTS.

Further information regarding features of the software may be found in the documentation.

Also

Teamviwer 4

Remote support without installation

With TeamViewer you can remotely control any PC anywhere on the Internet. No installation is required, just run the application on both sides and connect - even through tight firewalls.

Remote presentation of products, solutions and services

The second TeamViewer mode allows you to present your desktop to a partner. Show your demos, products and presentations over the Internet within seconds - live from your screen.

Works behind firewalls

The major difficulties in using remote control software are firewalls and blocked ports, as well as NAT routing for local IP addresses.
If you use TeamViewer you don't have to worry about firewalls: TeamViewer will find a route to your partner.

Browser based access

Are you on the road and would you like to control a remote computer? Why don't you use TeamViewer Web Connector? The purely html and flash based solution can be used from nearly any browser and operating system.

Hope this helps

Spudd,!

DarkMystic122

DarkMystic122

• PipPip
  • 34 posts
Amaya - This is a WYSIWYG HTML Editor and Web Design program its pretty good. Confusing at first but you get to catch on real quick with the Help files.

Edited by DarkMystic122, 13 March 2009 - 11:26 PM.

ZedU54

ZedU54

• PipPip
  • 94 posts
...probably not much use or demand for these anymore, but what about an OCR/text bridge (which allows you , for example, to scan a document directly into MS Word)? Any such animal in the free(ware) world?...

anzenketh

anzenketh

BSOD Warrior/Computer Surgeon

• Technician
  • 2,854 posts

...probably not much use or demand for these anymore, but what about an OCR/text bridge (which allows you , for example, to scan a document directly into MS Word)? Any such animal in the free(ware) world?...

Most scanners nowadays come with software. Not very good software but software none the less.

crooz

crooz

• PipPipPip
  • 412 posts

Hi all!
Been using a certain free program for many years now. Wouldn't know what to do without it. It's called TreeSize Pro.
Below is een exerpt from their site and a link to it.

"Every hard disk is too small if you just wait long enough. TreeSize Free tells you where precious space has gone to. TreeSize Free can be started from the context menu of a folder or drive and shows you the size of this folder, including its subfolders. You can expand this folder in Explorer-like style and you will see the size of every subfolder. Scanning is done in a thread, so you can already see results while TreeSize Free is working. The space, which is wasted by the file system, can be displayed and the results can be printed in a report. TreeSize Free is freeware for Windows 2000/XP/Vista."

http://www.jam-softw...are/index.shtml