Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Email Issue

• Please log in to reply

boomer32

boomer32

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
Hello All,
I did a search on your site and found nothing on my subject...or question i want to ask..Can an emails Ip be traced....If a person sends a email to another person can the person that recieved the message trace and find out the person that sent its IP address???

Thanks in adavance

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
short answer no....long answer yes...

the user who get's the mail...probably not gonna be able to do a full trace on the mail and get the actual sender's full info....they could in theory get close...like a town...or regional location...but not a name and address....BUT if there were reason to do so...they could get a court order to subpoena the isp records for that mail and get all the information they need about the sender...

your question begs another question....what are you sending that is that offensive/sensative/or plain illegal that warrants you to worry about that?

boomer32

boomer32

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts
Thanks very much dsenette...I am not sending anything illegal or wrong and thanks for your concern....I am how ever getting things that i cant seem to filter out. And I am wanting to find out where and who it is coming from....I have one other question if you do get a subpoena and the account is with yahoo or hotmail....I will still be able to find out that persons IP and where they live??? even let say there sending all this crap from a wireless connection??? Thanks again for your help and time and concern....

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
IF you get a subpoena then yes...no matter what connection they are on