Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

power problems

• Please log in to reply

delica88

delica88

• PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey guys
i have recnelty upgraded a computer of mines fan to a larger one. after installation the computer turns on for a second with all hard disks running and fans, then turns off after a second whilst being on.
have you come across this before as i have another computer exactley the same with the same fan which has not had this problem
cheers

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
what fan? CPU fan?

That sounds very much like a PC with thermal protection, where the CPU shuts down the system to protect itself from overheating if you did not install the heatsink.cpu fan properly

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey gerry f
long time no speak
yes it is a cpu fan . do you reckon it needs some thermal paste and also i was told that the fan may be faulty and drawing too much current through.
cheers

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Sounds like a hot processor to me, too. Try the thermal past. Don't scrimp...Arctic Silver or Arctic Aluminum are both very good at transferring the heat away from the processor.

wannabe1

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
ok will do tommorow

delica88

delica88

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 79 posts
hey guys i got some artic silver and applied the stuff as it said and there is no change i was reading on the internet before that the fan could be possibly crushing the core of the cpu. im in serious need of help as this a pc for my dads work

p.s. i get to the part of starting up where the pc finds all the disk drives etc, the part were you would press f2 to get into the bios. but still it turns off

Edited by delica88, 18 March 2006 - 03:16 PM.