Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Port Fowarding issue

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• PipPip
  • 39 posts
Hello my geeky friends that always have the right answer the first time i ask it =) <3

i have an issue that i am not educated well on and the tech support at my host is less then willing to spend time to show me how to do this.

I have netgear rp614v2 router. By default my ip sets up a dynamic ip address for everyone on their system. I have a private torrent site that requires a static ip and the torrent client i am using requires a port that is not blacklisted which involves me forwarding a otherwise non forwarded port. I go into my netgear config via explorer and try to forward the port 54793

i have set up remote management temporarily to help you see what i have done exactly
to connect its http://192.168.0.1 username: admin password: password for the gateway log in. once in there if you click on portforwarding on the bottom left side of page it will show you that i forwarded the port 54793. But my ip is still dynamic. My host wants to charge me to get a static ip but he also told me you can always config ur router to have a static ip *which i am assuming that is what i need to do* but have had less than an easy time accomplishing* I checked out the tutorial at portforwarding.com and perhaps didnt follow the directions properly but I came up shorthanded. If anyone is able to help me with this i will contact you right as soon as i receive an email saying someone has reponded to this post. :tazz:

Edited by Thomas Aquinas, 07 March 2006 - 08:52 AM.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
is the private torrent deal on the internal network? if so it shouldn't require going through the router at all...if not...(not sure on this for sure..so going on theory) can you not enable port forwarding for a full subnet?

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
hmm not sure what your talking about, i am referring to my home router which connects my father and my computer to the net via cable
private tracker runs through the website www.trancetraffic.com i dont know if that helps and a full subnet is something i am not familiar with i know my subnet mask # i think :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ah...you're at your house...trying to connect to a bittorrent website?

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
not bittorrent i use azureus for torrent client the private tracker runs through trancetraffic.com

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
thing thing i can connect to the tracker and seeds but i cant upload to them and that is the main problem so my port is closed and i need to open it :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
aaalllrighty...i'm probably just getting confused by something

let's get the short end of what exactly you want to do? (i guess i'm just dense today so bear with me)

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
i need my router to be static so i can forward a port so i can upload to other people via azureus which is a torrent client

Thomas Aquinas

Thomas Aquinas

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 39 posts
this is hard to explain for a unintelligent computer illiterate fella like myself :tazz: im sure i am not making this clear for you

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok....well there's two things here...now that i understand exactly what you're talking about....

#1...your ISP is correct...if you want a static ip from them you will have to pay for the static ip....as it's not so much your router that needs the static ip...but your modem....which in turn would allow your router to have a static ip.....

#2...we unfortunately have an anti P2P policy here at geeks to go so we can no longer offer you assistance in this matter...if you have issues with this policy please contact an admin or a moderator