Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Outlook 2002 wont connect to exchange server

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have an Exchange server 2003 with remote clients using Office XP. They need to connect to our Exchange server over the internet not through a VPN tunnel. This configuration was working until we moved Exchange to a new server. Now I cannot get them to connect. They get Exchange server cannot be located error. I can ping them from my Exchange server to their desktop but they still cannot conect. Any help would be great.

Thanks
RJ

Advertisements

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts
provided you are not attempting to configure OWA, read through the following Link

Edited by brianmil0923, 07 March 2006 - 11:00 AM.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Im not installing OWA. I have followed most of that link before, but that is for 2003 not 2002. After applying most of the steps through that sheet I am still stuck. Now I am finding that the remote computers cannot browse the server through the UNC or Network Places. I am going to try and focus on that for now, any ideas would be great.

Thanks

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when you moved the exchange over to a diff server...did the ip change? is that ip set to be routed to through your router/firewall the same as the old server?
i would assume in the original lsetup...there was an access rule and a NAT translation set up to translate your mail server's ip to a public ip address.

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Your assumptions are correct for the firewall, excpet the new server has the exact same name and IP as the old. I backed up to a drive, then disconnected the old server, connected the new and renamed it the same, then restored the data. The remote clients worked before now they do not. I am very confused, and management is becoming unhappy. Do you have any ideas why the cant browse the server shares now too?

Thanks

brianmil0923

brianmil0923

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

I have an Exchange server 2003

Is this what you are running? I would focus on the exchange server side of this.,new server needs to be configured properly, before clients can connect to..or even see it..

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Your assumptions are correct for the firewall, excpet the new server has the exact same name and IP as the old. I backed up to a drive, then disconnected the old server, connected the new and renamed it the same, then restored the data. The remote clients worked before now they do not. I am very confused, and management is becoming unhappy. Do you have any ideas why the cant browse the server shares now too?

Thanks

so as far as you know...the firewall is set up correctly...to translate to that ip addres...(i would verify that to be sure)....did you actually join the domain with the server once you "ghosted" it..i don't think "ghosting" copies domain membership....

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The new exchange server runs fine (internally). We can send and receive emails just fine. The problem arises when the remote clients through a SonicWall VPN connection try to connect. When the start Outlook it just says it cannot connect.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when they are on the vpn...can THEY ping the server? you said you could ping them..but not whether they could ping the server...by name or ip

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I did not ghost the machine. I installed from scratch, the only things that I restored were the mailboxes. I joined the new server to the domain as normal. The NAT is configured correctly.

Advertisements

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
The current problem, is the remote clients can not see the server. They cannot browse/connect/ping it at all. That is what my current focus is on. But i dont know why this happened.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
alright...let's take inventory...

got an exchange server....needed to migrate that to a new box....you did a back up of the old box and unplugged it...set up a completely new server with the same confiuration as the old one...restored all the exhcange data onto the new server....all fine and good...anyone on the LAN can connect fine no problem....anyone on the VPN....nadda...

correct?

oh yeah...mos timportant part.....administration..P.O.ED

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Roger that.

As a side note though, none of the remote clients can see the exchange server shares. So that is I believe the first problem to tackle.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
indeed....they have to be able to see SOMETHING on the server before they'll ever see the fact that it's a mail server...

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
as a test.....what happens IF you put the old server back in place?