Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Is there such thing ... And how to protect against ...

• Please log in to reply

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Is there actull software that will keep your computer on ?

For example ...

You log onto your computer, you then decied to leave your computer for a few min. When you return to it you must enter a password for you to log on. If you don't enter it right then the computer will stay on. If you pull the plug on the computer and then put it back in the outlet the computer will turn on again.

Is there such a software ? Or is this just fantasy ?

Also, what can i do for my computer to prevent people from taking my passwords of the computer. There are a few programs on the Internet called system recovery that will give you the hash file for your passwords and decrypt them.

Is there a way i can prevent this. I have been told there is but i have never had anyone tell me HOW !

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well you can just hit the power button once it usually starts the shutdown routine for most systems as long a its wired up properly and set that way in the power settings in windows, or you can do hard shut down by holding the off button most times, you can also turn off the password request in display on the screensaver tab.

Dont know what youre talking about people taking your passwords like that but im not a malware guy maybe there is but it would be malware so you can protect yourself from malware and other attacks by the usuall means.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you mean is there a way to password protect your computer in such a way that if someone unpluggs the machine...when it comes back on it's still password protected? if that's what you mean you can set a BIOS password which will require a password BEFORE windows even loads....it would also be a good idea to set a password on your user account, as well as protecting your screen saver so that if you get up...the machine automatically get's password protected...

with this set up...you would have this scenario....you're working on the comp...you get up to take a leak...some nutter comes in and tries to get on the machine...well...the screen saver is on..(hopefully you set the screen saver time to something low like 5 min)...no problem the nutter thinks "i'll just move the mouse and steal some stuff"..wrong...moves the mouse...asks for a password...he doesnt know the password so he turns off the machine assuming that he will then be let right in...nope...gets a prompt for yet another password during boot...IF he get's past that password...he still needs to have your username password..

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
Well what i was saying about gettin a password is ...

here is the site: http://loginrecovery.com/index.html

You can only do this physically although. But how could you protect the hash files.

As for the protected windows ...

What I'm trying to say is If i was to turn on the computer and on login i didn't enter the right password the computer will not shut off. Even if you did press the power button it will not turn off. You would have to pull the plug and when you plugged the computer in again it would turn on. This kind of software would indecate if someone has been on your system.

Now i don't know if this is real or not. It might be fantasy and completly unreal. I'm only asking if this would be possible.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Someone would have to steal your computer to do that and if they have the HD then theres basically nothing to stop someone who really wanted to get the data from getting it password or no password.

So you want software to STOP it turning off, without entering the password, while if you can find it you could probably make the software, but its sounds just a bit like over kill i think you maybe need to relax a bit what good is it to know if someone turned on your computer and couldnt use it its pretty pointless info its when they get through the password you have to botherm but really i think your being just a smidge paranoid.

Mr.Chow

Mr.Chow

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
haha no i would most certainly not do this to my computer. I really think there is no point. Although i was curious if somthing like this exsisted. Just a curiosity question haha.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Best way to find out is google, but i doubt it does, what purpose is having your computer stay on most people want it to go off when you leave it to save electricity.

But like i said if someone steals your HDD them getting the password from a hash file is the least of your worries.