Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP Home can't find networked printers

• Please log in to reply

lacohn

lacohn

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
I'm wondering if someone could help me... I have just added a new dell computer (XP Home operating system) onto our business network. I can connect to our main server and see the data, and can get online through our router. However, when I try to add the printers that are shared on our network, and I use the "add printer" wizard, I browse to the computers on the network and hit the plus sign to see the printer, no printer shows up! I can't figure it out! Our server is a Windows 2000 server.

Also, when I browse to any other computer on the network and double click to access, it also asks for a username and password. And even when I put the network administrator username and password in, it won't allow me to connect. Is this all because it doesn't have XP Professional installed? Any way to get it to work? Thank you!!!

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
is your "business" network...a domain or a workgroup?

lacohn

lacohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
It's a domain

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
that would be your problem...you can't join home to a domain...why did you guys get home in a domain structure to begin with?

lacohn

lacohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
I just needed a cheap workstation, and I didn't realize that XP home wouldn't work. Is there no workaround? We are able to access our server and use the internet through our network. Is the only problem that I can't access network printers?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
well...with home...you can kind of do a work around and get access to certain things....such as the shared info on the server by entering the username and password when you connect to a share (in the format of domain\username for the username then normal password.. i.e yourdomain\administrator though it would be best to use a normal user for this instead of the admin) for the printers...do the add printer wizard..then select network printer..highlight the second option "connect to this printer then once there type \\computername\printername where computer name is the name that the shared printer is shared from...and where printername is the shared name of the printer...this will probably also ask you for a domain password as well....this will all get very annoying after a while...

lacohn

lacohn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts
Thank you! Adding the printer by manually typing the computer name and printer name worked. When it asked me for a login, I had to do domain name\username and password, but it did allow me to install the printer! I wonder if it will still connect if I restart the computer? Will I need to reenter the username and password to establish the connection with the printer? Next time I will definitely buy XP Pro!

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
only one way to find o ut....restart the sucker