Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Can't share local printer on wireless network

• This topic is locked This topic is locked

gretsky

gretsky

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hi all. I'm new to this forum, so I hope I am posting in the right area. I'm hoping someone can help me with this frustration. My setup is as follows....

I just setup my wireless home network. I'm running a Dell Dimension 8200 desktop with Windows XP Pro, with a Dell Laser Multi-Function 1600n local printer via USB. The only other computer i have is a Dell XPS M140 laptop running Media Center Edition. My central connection point is a Linksys WRT54G Wireless Router. The only wired connection is from the router to the desktop. To save any further confusion, I setup the printer in the following ways......
Right click printer _ Properties _ Sharing _ Share This Printer _ Share Name

on the laptop...........
Add a printer _ Network Printer _ Browse for printer _ and located the correct shared printer on my network
(I have also tried the option button for specifying the printer name by typing it in manually)

As far as file sharing and viewing the network, everything works fine.

The problem I'm running into is this: As long as I print locally from the desktop, everything works fine. However, when I try to print from the laptop, the printer automatically comes up with an error in the document window, and obviously backs up any other local print jobs in the queue. As soon as I clear out the queue, and print locally again, it works fine. It's just whenever I try printing from the laptop that I automatically get the error in the document window.

File and Print Sharing is enabled on each computer, and all Firewalls are turned off on each computer. I have also tried the following:
Same matching account on both machines
Tried creating new accounts and even using the guest account
Uninstalling the printer from the desktop, completely reinstalling the printer to the desktop and sharing

The weird thing to me is that when I click connect on the shared printer, it never does anything. Never asks me for a password or anything. Well, let me clarify that. It does pop up the message about installing the driver to my machine, but after that it never does anything. The only error message I receive is in the Printer's document window, stating that there is an error on the print job.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have racked my brain on this one. Thanks.

gretsky

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
in the add printer wizard....have you tried the second sellection under the add network printer section....the one about specifying the printer...and putting in \\computername\printername ?

gretsky

gretsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yes.........I have tried all 3 options on this screen, all to no avail. The first 2 options I can find the printer (Browse for Printer and and Printer Name); however, I cannot find the printer by using the 3rd option (Printer URL)

rich-m

rich-m

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
Have you checked the Local Group Policy settings as by default the Point & Print restrictions are enabled and that stops you from print sharing over a LAN.

Ta
Rich

Dan

Dan

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 1,771 posts
If your printer is popping up an error when you're doing this, then it usually means that it'll also make a log in the Event Log. Therefore, I'd suggest having a look for any errors in regards to your printer in your Event Viewer. To open up Event Viewer, goto Start --> Run --> type EVENTVWR and press OK --> Now, look under both the System and the Application logs for any errors and/or warnings, that you feel might have something to do with either your printer, or your Network. If you find any, please post the relevant heading, along with the details inside by double clicking on the error/warning, and then copy/pasting the information from within.

If we have an error to work with, generally it'll make things alot easier.

- Dan

gretsky

gretsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Ok......to the last 2 replies. For reasons that I'm sure are obvious to all of you, I don't have policy settings for Point and Print listed in the group policy editor for my desktop because I do not have SP1. I cannot get it (as I said before, obvious reasons for not being able to update). However, I do have Point and Print settings for the laptop, and it is set to "not configured".

As far as the event viewer, that is why i like forums. I honestly hadn't even thought to check the event viewer. In any case, here are the results from the event viewer from the desktop:

Event ID: 61
The document Microsoft Word - Document 1 owned by Guest failed to print. Win32 error code returned by the print processor. 63 (0x3f).

Thanks for the help.
gretsky

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i'm not seeing the obvious reasons for not being to update...what are those reasons?

gretsky

gretsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Because my copy of WinXP will not validate :tazz:

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ahem.....aaaaand why is that?

gretsky

gretsky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Well, it did up until a few months ago. But oh well. It doesn't make it right, but i'm sure i'm by far not the only one on here that doesn't run a "perfectly genuine copy of a Microsoft OS"

But either which way, now that Microsoft won't allow me to update, I can't get any of the service packs :tazz:

But even with this being the case, I can't really see service packs or the Point and Print not being listed in the Group Policy Editor, not allowing me to share a printer.

Your thoughts??

gretsky

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
well...my thoughts are...that we are currently in a VERY unfortunate situatioin...as we only support a

"perfectly genuine copy of a Microsoft OS"

your problem was just getting to the fun part as well...BUT unfortunately..due to site policies...this topic is now being closed. i suggest you aquire

a "perfectly genuine copy of a Microsoft OS"