Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HELP NEEDED FAULT PXE-E61 MEDIA FAILURE CHECK CABLE.

• Please log in to reply

topchef

topchef

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there

My father has a Iqon p.c with a amd sempron 2800+ processor. I visited him a few months ago and installed a few basic programs (real time player/quick time player) for burning c.ds/listening to music. Everything was good untill i arrived home and my dad tells me he no longer has any sound and keeps getting the error 'PXE-E61 MEDIA FAILURE CHECK CABLE'. We have checked EVERYTHING on the p.c and all i can see is that it keeps saying 'NO AUDIO DEVICE DETECTED'. We have tried re-installing the sound driivers but to no avail.

Would anyone know if the fault is linked to the loss of sound or does anyone have any possible solutions.

Thanks in advance

P.s

Its windows xp if that helps

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
when do you get that error? during boot?

the pxe errors during boot generally mean that the system is trying to boot from a network...to get rid of that error boot into the bios and remove any reference to boot on lan...make sure that it's no where to be found in the boot order..and if there is an option to do so...disable the function

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yes, the error is from boot up.
Would this/could this affect the loss of sound in any way?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
they are probably only indirectly related....SOMETHING...changed your bios settings..probably back to default...which now begs the question...do you have onboard audio or a pci audio card?

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
honest answer.....I don't really know. I think that the audio is 'onboard' but dont quote me on it, i'm no expert in this field.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
do you plug your speakers in up near the power plug? or down hear the bottom?

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
just spoke to my father and they plug in around the bottom area (green plug).

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ok...if the sound is plugging in down at the bottom on the back then he's got a sound card in there...find out if there is another set of speaker jacks up at the top area near where the power pluggs in in the back...if there is...plug the speakers in there...and see if the sound works now

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
no spare jack plugs available i'm afraid. I have a similar p.c 'n' i dont have them either. Could it be that the sound drivers are knackered? When he has tried doing a diagnostics his p.c (xp) says that there are is no audio device detected?!?!?!?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
right click on my computer > manage > device manager...any yellow ? or !

also what's the status of the bios stuff i told you about in post #2

Advertisements

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there again.
I just spoke to my dad and there are no yellow ! or ? in the device manager. Also, i cant get him to go into the bios menu cos hes a bit too old 'n' not all that confident with what hes doing!! (i live two hundred miles away so i cannot help either!)
I know he has restored his p.c to factory settings whilst trying to remedyhis problem, the only problem is, i'm not 100% sure if he went into the bios or not. I will find out.
I know he has used system restore but to no avail.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi topchef...

Is there a little speaker in the system tray (by the clock)?
Posted Image
wannabe1

topchef

topchef

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi there guys. sorry i have not replied for over a week, been away on business.

Contacted my father today and there is no speaker symbol present in the in-tray next to clock.
Also, dunno if i have already mentioned it, but his p.c is still saying no audio device detected even though everything is plugged in as it should be. Even purchased brand new speakers to be sure.

Any help would be MUCH appreciated

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
he said there are no yellow ? or ! in device manager....but can h e find his sound card there?

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi topchef...

With an Iqon PC, chances are very good that he is running with an integrated VIA sound device. Let's set that as default Windows sound device and see what happens.

Open Control Panel and double-click on the "Sounds and Audio Devices" icon. Under the "Sounds" tab, select "Windows default" in the "Sounds Scheme" drop down menu.

Under the "Audio" tab, make sure that your Sound device (VIA) is listed in the top two sections...if not, select it from the drop down menu.

Under the "Voice" tab, make sure the Your Sound device (VIA) is listed in both boxes...if not, select it.

Under the "Volume" tab, put a tick in the box to "Place volume icon in the taskbar".

Click "Apply" and then "Ok".

Now look down by the clock...is there a little speaker there? If yes, double-click on it and make sure there is not a tick in the box next to "Mute" and that the Volume sliders are all set to at least halfway.

Reboot

Sound?

wannabe1