Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE will not open

• Please log in to reply

Z1PPY

Z1PPY

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi. Internet Explorer will not open over 90% of the time. While I have a connection (rare) I will describe the problem.
When I double click the ISP or IE shortcut icons, most times the pointer changs to the hourglass for about 10 seconds and then goes back to the pointer without opening the programme. Task Monitor shows nothing open. Sometimes the Username/Password window appears, but then a message comes up to say that the internet is already running when it isnt or says the modem is incorrectly set up (although it has worked perfectly for about two years until just a month ago).
I have run the following tools:

AVG antivirus
CW Shredder
SmitRem & ewido anti malware (against Vcodec spyware)
Adaware
Spybot S+D
Acelogix Registry Tuneup
Windows Disk cleanup
Uninstall and re-install the ISP dialup software
(I have ZoneAlarm firewall)

None of these programmes have found a problem although sometimes if I run some or all of the above and then try the Internet it dials up straight away and I think I have cured the problem.

Most times if I go into Internet Properties and click on Connections, the window freezes and the message (Not Responding) appears. All other tabs in this window are fine.

I suspect a virus or ad/spyware but if it is its a blooming good one because it is so far invisible. The machiine has been running slow lately.

I am able to run HiJack This and post on this thread if any use.

Any ideas?

Edited by Z1PPY, 07 March 2006 - 12:41 PM.

Advertisements