Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Boring straight question, sorry....

• Please log in to reply

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
I changed my email address yonks ago, do I just change the details in my details here or does one have send an email then.

Advertisements

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Community Leader
  • 24,639 posts
Just change it in your profile, here.

fleamailman

fleamailman

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,383 posts
tks

arito

arito

• Pip
  • 4 posts
Perhaps the control panel needs some tweaking. I too just spent 20 minutes searching for the way to change my email address. There's just so much stuff there and the organization isn't too intuitive in my opinion. What about at least combining email settings and change email address? Most people think that email settings is the place to change the address (because they see it first), and when they get there, they already forgot that they didn't look at the couple of last items in the menu - one of which is "change email address" - and move on to click around (and get angry). It would be good to go through the categories and rethink how to name them and which item goes where.

Thanks.

P.S. I just changed my email address at some 40 web pages (20 more to go) and generally the experience was OK.

**Brian**

**Brian**

Semper Paratus: Always Ready

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,164 posts
Hiyas:

Perhaps the control panel needs some tweaking. I too just spent 20 minutes searching for the way to change my email address. There's just so much stuff there and the organization isn't too intuitive in my opinion. What about at least combining email settings and change email address? Most people think that email settings is the place to change the address (because they see it first), and when they get there, they already forgot that they didn't look at the couple of last items in the menu - one of which is "change email address" - and move on to click around (and get angry). It would be good to go through the categories and rethink how to name them and which item goes where.

I think that the Board Software dictates where stuff is in the control panel. however, I may be wrong, and if I am, I'm sure that someone will correct me :)

My feeling and opinion is that if you have used the Board Software for a long time, you get used to the way that stuff is laid out. I am sure that there are ways to edit fields and add fields and things like that, but I am not sure that G2G Admins can change the organization of the control panel buttons even if they wanted to. I believe that stuff like this would require G2G to change board software - and I don't believe that this will happen :)

I am a member of several forums, G2G being one, that uses the same software (IP Board) - It may just be that you have to poke around in the control panel to figure out where certain controls are. Once you do that and start making changes, you will remember where things are :)

Good Luck!!

Brian

ScHwErV

ScHwErV

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 21,285 posts
  • MVP
You have to click My Controls and then click Change Email Address. I really am not sure how much more simple the process could be. Its 2 clicks away from anywhere on the board and its titled "Change Email Address".

The only thing more simple would be if the forum could read your mind and do it for you.

arito

arito

• Pip
  • 4 posts
@Brian: Thanks for your reply. As you say, if you poke around the control panel and change your settings, things come more familiar. The confusing control panel is more of a problem for example to those who are less active like me (and perhaps less interesting from maintainers point of view), but want to keep their membership anyway (because the site is good :-), and who occasionally come to change their personal information. One of the most typical situations must be the one I was in; change of email address. I had to do the change for almost 70 web services, and the experience gave me some perspective to good web page organization and layout :-) Such a large amount of work makes you appreciate when the layout is well thought-out. On the other hand this is the only site I'm a member on that uses the Board Software you mentioned, for which reason the layout is new to me. Anyway, I understand that it may be too difficult to change the page layout (and not important for the more active users), and thats OK. Of course the most important things are the users and the content of the forum (and it's nice to have responsive administrators too :-)

Ari