Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Services and controller app has enctountered a problem

• Please log in to reply

DangeR!

DangeR!

• PipPip
  • 27 posts
Hi,
I keep getting this error on boot and my pc doesn't work properly. I have to do hard reset/shutdowns.

szAppName : services.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180
szModName : services.exe szModVer : 5.1.2600.2180 offset : 00008e40

C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxxx~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbbd9.dir00\services.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\xxxxxx~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERbbd9.dir00\appcompat.txt

I got an hijackthis log file:

Please do not post hijack this logs in any other forum than the malware forum as it will incourage others to do so as well. Your log has been removed and re-attached as a text file

I have tryed this step but it still happens
http://www.geekstogo...showtopic=98832

DangeR!

Edited by dsenette, 15 March 2006 - 10:58 AM.

Advertisements

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
btw, I cant find this service TskHlp

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
bump, anyone?

Matt.F

Matt.F

Visiting Staff

• Visiting Consultant
  • 512 posts
Moving to the Windows XP forum per user request.

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
not very helpfull this site is it. ohh well, I think I figured out the problem.

shamas187

shamas187

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I am having the exact same problem as you DangeR, and as mentioned in another topic by morethanben. Same app, same module, same version, and of course, same offset.

Unfortunately, I have yet to find another forum/site on google with this error mentioned in it. There are many different errors form this services.exe app over google, but non in the module services.exe. I am beggining to think that only three people in the world actally have this problem.

I have not yet found a way to solve it (did not try reinstalling windows yet), but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I also thought that if more pepople signal this, maybe someone will notice it and the topic won't go dead or forgotten.

So, if you found a fix for this, please tell me what it is DangeR! Thanx.

Also, please try to be patient with the staff as they are probably busy (you are not the only one with a problem).

Edited by shamas187, 14 March 2006 - 03:48 PM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
can you start the computer in safe mode?

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
hi,

@shamas187

I think it was a problem with windows firewall belive it or not.

Do me a favour and try and change the setting in windows fire wall by going to
My Network Places - right click and select properties
Select your connection and right click and select properties
select the advanced tab and coose settings in the windows firewall section

When I selected settings I got an error and it wouldn't load anything to do with the firewall.

So I got a reg fix from some where and used that to sort out the firewall. Now everytimg I log onto windows I don't get the services error anymore. It may be related, or it may be lling dormant for a few reboots to start again. I don't know.

Atlest if you d the above and get the error with the firewall then they must be relatred.

Hope it is for ya both. I'll try and find the fixe and website I got it off. I think I book marked it.

Edit:
Found it. If you get an error it will be like the one abouve in the web page I listed.

GL, hope it works well.

Edited by DangeR!, 15 March 2006 - 08:00 AM.

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
@dsenette
<3 the monkey... unless its a relative them I'm sorry ^^.

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
also.
Does the highjak this out put file look ok?

Advertisements

morethanben

morethanben

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Hmm, I'm not sure how it would relate.

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
it belongs to the service.exe. did you try it, going to firewall settings of your connection

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry...forgot that there was an hjt log here...i'm not an expert but i dind't see anything in there...

morethanben

morethanben

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
My windows firewall has been disabled up until today.

shamas187

shamas187

• Pip
  • 2 posts
to dsenette

I can start the computer in safe mode, and did a couple of times without getting this error, but I didn't do it so many times as to say that the error won't show. The problem doesn't appear everytime I start win (in normal mode I mean), that's why I can't tell for sure.

Note that the computer will not automatically shutdown unless you click the "don't send" button on the error message window, therefore, if you are willing to do whatever it is you do with the error message permanently on screen. Also the SHUTDOWN -a command during the countdown will give a lot of crashes in the system, so it is not really an option.

to Danger!

Actually, the problem started showing up after trying to solve the firewall problem, which is related in the link you gave. That is, I had the problem that was stated as the third simptom in the link, and found the exact same site that you linked earlier:

You receive the following error message while accessing the firewall settings (firewall.cpl)

Due to an unidentified problem, Windows cannot display Windows Firewall settings.

I took the reg file and executed it but unfortunatelly, I didn't do reg backup because the way windows backs up a 4kb registry whitout letting you disable the other 500 MB of system files other dll's really annoyes me.

After I did the reg patch and used NETSH FIREWALL RESET, it was THEN that the current problem first appeared, but the firewall was working :tazz:, and still is (I mean accesing the settings of the firewall, the thing itself actually being off).

As for the HJT logfile, I didn't post it because I saw the topic started by morethanben earlier in the malware section of the forum and the malware cause was eliminated by another staff member (Matt. F). In the light of this, I supposed that whatever the cause of this error is, it is related to the same thing for all those who have it, so it is not malware related.
If someone on the staff should still think it is necessary, please let me know and I will post the file latter.

Edited by shamas187, 16 March 2006 - 09:01 AM.