Hi guys- I registered just to reply to this thread. I was having the exact same problem as the OP in the exact same module. I just wanted to let you know that the firewall fix worked for me. I had the firewall problem once before and had fixed it; and because the firewall settings displayed correctly in safe mode under the main admin account- I assumed they would display properly in the main user account with which I was having problems. When I logged in to get the services and controllers app error message; I decided to check the firewall settings and I got the error message that the settings could not be accessed.
So I tried the firewall fix in this thread and applied them in safe mode- the problem persisted. I logged into the account on which I was having problems; ignored the services and controller error message- and did the firewall fix.
The next reboot was fine; and this was happening to me after every boot. If the problem comes back I will let you guys know. But I was just wondering if you tried to apply the fix out of safe mode on the account you were having problems with. Because I had another account I made while experiencing this problem; and that account still has the problem while the main one that got the fix doesn't.
Getting the same error again in the same module; and the firewall settings are fine- so this time something else must be causing the problem- and it's either some malware that a miriad of scans cannot find, or it's windows XP evil itself.
Edited by darc, 21 May 2006 - 11:54 AM.