Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Services and controller app has enctountered a problem

• Please log in to reply

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
its back again ffs. It all started when I uninstalled my graphics card drivers (nVidia 84.21).

its getting so anoying now. It happens every boot. I dont get it when booting into safe mode. Once when I got it it gave me a patch from MS
http://oca.microsoft...51361b&SID=1501
this didnt help as after the reboot it happened again.

I think the only way is to reformat the HD.

Advertisements

morethanben

morethanben

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
Yep, probably the best thing to do, I'll just have to move the error in the bottom of the screen until I can get around to formatting.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
sorry we couldn't help with this one guys...it's just such a confusing error with no real track record of success

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
I did a few TOTLY clean installs of my g/c driver (about 3 times booting into safe mode and using driver cleaner) Installing then repeating and I haven't had the error since. Though I have only rebooted about 4 times since the driver install. It may have worked, but we thought that a while ago.

thnx for the help though.

morethanben

morethanben

• PipPip
  • 19 posts
I still kinda feel like my services.exe got corrupted from a virus is that even possible? If so I will have someone send me there xp pro sp2 services.exe file and try it out.

DangeR!

DangeR!

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
good idea. let me know how it goes. The last thing I want to do is a full re-install

darc

darc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi guys- I registered just to reply to this thread. I was having the exact same problem as the OP in the exact same module. I just wanted to let you know that the firewall fix worked for me. I had the firewall problem once before and had fixed it; and because the firewall settings displayed correctly in safe mode under the main admin account- I assumed they would display properly in the main user account with which I was having problems. When I logged in to get the services and controllers app error message; I decided to check the firewall settings and I got the error message that the settings could not be accessed.

So I tried the firewall fix in this thread and applied them in safe mode- the problem persisted. I logged into the account on which I was having problems; ignored the services and controller error message- and did the firewall fix.

The next reboot was fine; and this was happening to me after every boot. If the problem comes back I will let you guys know. But I was just wondering if you tried to apply the fix out of safe mode on the account you were having problems with. Because I had another account I made while experiencing this problem; and that account still has the problem while the main one that got the fix doesn't.

*sigh* Update:

Getting the same error again in the same module; and the firewall settings are fine- so this time something else must be causing the problem- and it's either some malware that a miriad of scans cannot find, or it's windows XP evil itself.

Edited by darc, 21 May 2006 - 11:54 AM.

darc

darc

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok another update- I recently did a system restore (because for some reason I kept getting stop errors when trying to do a reinstall of windows even after chkdsk /f and many virus scans) I restored to a point before I updated to catalyst 6.4 drivers.

I installed the drivers for my x800 pro and the catalyst something or other drivers that came with it; and the error persisted. But when I restored to that same point again; and installed the drivers only with no catalyst control center or any of that- the computer works normally again.

*shrugs*

Go figure. My windows is still really screwed up I bet; but at least it's functioning normally now.