Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

DirectX + NVida MX 440 Problems

• Please log in to reply

KeitaroSenpai

KeitaroSenpai

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, and want to thank everyone in advance who replies with helpful responses. I am running a 2.53 GHZ Custom Built Machine, on 512MB of ram. My graphics card is a NVida MX 440, (yeah I know it is cheap, but it works good to me, or was before upgrading to XP Professional).

I wanted to play Ragnarok Online, so I downloaded the client, ran the patch client, then when it was done patching, I clicked 'Start Game'. It displayed an error 'Cannot init d3d or grf files are corrupt'. I had this problem before with RO on a 800MHZ HP Machine with on-board graphics controller by IBM. Normally I just had to restart the machine or adjust the display settings. So I did this, and to my luck still nothing. When I goto settings to check what device RO is using, it shows up blank, so I researched that too and came up with checking to make sure that my graphic cards drivers are up-to-date as well as Direct X.

So from there, I downloaded updated drivers for my NVida Card, Downloaded DirectX 9.0C, & ran Windows Update to make sure there is no updates I am missing. Still to my luck, I ran into the same problem. So this time I ran DirectX Diagnostic Program, and all the tests passed, tho I did notice something weird, DirectDraw said "Not Available" tho ... My card supports DirectDraw as it was enabled before I upgraded to Windows XP Profession when I was on Windows 2000.

Another weird thing I notice is when I ran the DirectDraw Test, it passed, tho that was not the weirdest part, but at the top when it shows the Approx. Total Memory on card, it shows n/a and VDD say's n/a.... I don't know what is wrong.

I ran into a dead-end, I have tried everything I could thing, including:

* Downgrading to DirectX 8.1
* Rolling back my graphic's driver
* Reinstalling DirectX 9c
* Uninstalling RO
* Reinstalling RO

Also, I noticed when I go to install DirectX 9c now, it asks me to accept the License Agreement which I do, then I press next, and it instantly says 'all the files are finished updating'., I reboot and it shows 8.1 still as the version for DirectX, so it is like DirectX is not even being installed when I do that.

I hope someone can help me out, please reply to this post if you have any helpful tips!

Thanks a bunch in advanced!
Keitaro Urashima

Advertisements

KeitaroSenpai

KeitaroSenpai

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
P.S.

I ran the DXDiag.exe Tool again, here is the log file.

Attached Files