Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Cant link to the internet

• Please log in to reply

Divine1

Divine1

• PipPip
  • 20 posts
I reformatted and reloaded Win XP professional with service pack 1a on my Dell Insipiron 1150. However, I am unable to connect to the internet, I cant even link up to my local network at work. Someone told me that the reason is because all my drivers on the notebook were deleted and would need to be re-installed. I cant access the internet to dl the drivers though. Please advise.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
download the drives to a different machine, burn to a cd, install from that

http://support.dell....0&os=WW1&osl=EN

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
If you get nothing else, get the Network drivers, or Modem drivers then you can download the rest from the laptop once you're back on line

Divine1

Divine1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I did that and I attempted to load these 2 drivers R86360 and 115321 and for R86360 it says that it is not a 'valid Win32 application'. For 115321 it says "Invalid self-extractor configuration. this file may be corrupted." I dont see how thats possible since I dl directly from Dell's support site. I thought that WinXp Pro came with any necessary drivers to allow for internet access? Please advise .. thanks D

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
it is possible depending on your connection--could have just been a dirty line at the time.

Windows does have SOME drivers, but not all...

Start > run
devmgmt.msc
<enter>

what do you see? What devices have yellow !s

Divine1

Divine1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
These devices all have Yellow question marks:

Other Devices - Base System Device, Base System Device, Ethernet Controller, Multimedia Audio Controller, Network Controller, PCI Modem, Video Controller, Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

I guess the Yellow on the Video controllers must explain why my display is huge fonts and i cant adjust.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
yes...

Also, thanks to Dells decision to put just about anything that comes through the door in a PC, they change hardware so often that it is tough to nail down the drivers some time,

You did get a driver CD when you got this pc--did you lose it?

On the bottom of the machine, you will see a service tag...write that number down and plug it in on this page

http://support.dell.com/

This may help you narrow down which exact driver to download

Divine1

Divine1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
Actually based on ur initial advice i already visited Dell support and dl and burn on to a cd all the relevant drivers.. when I attempted to load them on to the notebook is when i encounter the problems I had mentioned ('not a valid Win32 application'. For 115321 it says "Invalid self-extractor configuration. this file may be corrupted.. etc etc). so that doesnt work. I am not sure what else to do... thanks

Divine1

Divine1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
I guess the cd i was using with the drivers wasnt up to par. Anyway i used a new cd dl n burn the drivers on it and now my notebook works fine.. Thank yoiu for your help you may close this issue out now...

Take care and regards

D