Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

loopback adresss when broswing

• Please log in to reply

angelblade27

angelblade27

• PipPip
  • 62 posts
i have recenently (about 2 months) assembled a computer. recently now when i go browsing i notice on the bottom of the web broswing it saying transferring data from 127.0.0....... and it pervents me from logining on to sites at times and it will not allow me to log on the my mail.
i thought it was a virus and submitted my hijack this in the malware forum. after removing all the viruses the computer was working ok. but it came up again. i just formated my harddisk and the cpu was fine for 3 days. i was told to submit my problem in the hardware section

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Have you added the patch for the hosts file? It sounds like it.

127.0.0.1 is the local loopback address (your machine). There is a suggested file, which tends to have far too many domains in my opinion, which could be causing your problem.

http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

# MVPS Hosts file <= The MVPS Hosts file replaces your current HOSTS file with one containing well know ad sites etc. Basically, this prevents your computer from connecting to those sites by redirecting them to 127.0.0.1 which is your local computer

Windows XP = C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K = C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98/ME = C:\WINDOWS

The above is the directory, which then contains the file "hosts".

It is not a hardware issue, BTW.

Edited by Kemasa, 07 March 2006 - 04:57 PM.

angelblade27

angelblade27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
is there any remedy for it.
i thought it was a software problem hence i posted it in the hijack this log forum

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
Yes, remove the entries in the hosts file which are causing you a problem. You can use wordpad or other programs to edit it, it is just a simple text file.

Did you install that file? Look to see what is in the hosts file and see if the locations that you are trying to get to are there. Sometimes the name that you enter ends up at another location, so you need to make sure that all names that you need are removed and it might take a few cycles. The file is good to avoid some sites, but far too often what I consider valid sites are in there.

I don't have a problem with posting it here as I watch these groups, but I just wanted to mention that it does not look like a hardward problem based on what you said and perhaps you should relay that back to whoever told you that it was a hardware problem.

angelblade27

angelblade27

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
where are the host files located?

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
See post #2 in this thread. It is "hosts", not "host". That is the actual name of the file.