Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

ETRUST Firewall

• Please log in to reply

ValhallaSky

ValhallaSky

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is regarding my dad's 6-month Dell... on which he installed the e-trust packaged suite that comes with ISPs now-a-days. It was working great for him until a Critical Windows Update forced him to turn off the firewall in order to get on the net this past week, I believe.

Yesterday I switched out the modems as we were converting from Cable to DSL. I also tweaked the router so that it assigns specific mac addresses a certian ip address. I did this because an odd ip kept making a dhcp request to the router, and starting last night the router was reporting smurf attacks; however, I think these "attacks" are the new modem optimising itself with the ISP like they warned.

And now, today, the icon for the etrust firewall has dissapeared, not letting dad disable it so he can surf the web. XP Security Center clearly states that the etrust firewall is up and running, but I can't seem to find it in the process list to stop it. We also tried reinstalling the software, but the icon still won't show up. Then I tried uninstalling the software... and it wouldn't let me!

In the process of reinstalling the entire suite in case a common file in the program was corrupted, the Pest Patrol complained it couldn't connect to the internet to update. So I took dad's dell off the static DHCP table. Pest Patrol could then update, but he still can't surf the web and the firewall icon is still MIA.

Any help at all on this issue would be greatly appreciated. :tazz:

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Download Process Explorer from Sysinternals
http://www.sysintern...ssexplorer.html

File > Save As

save the report as text and attach it to next post

ValhallaSky

ValhallaSky

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
ahh Nevermind. I had a noob moment and forgot about safe mode. We got it uninstalled and installed avast! and zonealarm's freebe firewall.

Thanks for your time, though~