Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

firewall

• Please log in to reply

Angelia

Angelia

• PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
is there a free firewall

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hello scsangelia...

There are several Free Firewalls available (Center column second box down). Sygate Personal works well with Win98 and is really easy to "train".

wannabe1

Edited by wannabe1, 07 March 2006 - 11:10 PM.

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
thanks so much i have downloaded the sygate.The reason i needed one is yesterday i had to go through the malware removal program.When i restarted the computer after downloaded firewall avg come up and detected a virus i run the scan but i need to know how to configure firewall should i leave it on normal or block all from access to computer?Thanks for you help

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you mean AVG, it will need to access the internet to check for updates

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
The default settings that Sygate used are very adequate. You will, however, need to "train" it. Everytime something tries to access the internet...or something on the internet tries to access your machine..you will get a pop-up warning. Take a look at the information in the warning to determine if it's something you need to have going through unhindered.

Rule of thumb: If you open an application and a warning pops up, it is probably your application trying to access the internet...many applications search for program updates when they are opened. Tick the checkbox to have the Firewall remember your choice and click "Allow". After a time, the only warnings you'll receive will be from "uninvited guests".

wannabe1

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
thanks at start up of computer these two programs ask for permission from remote computer and don't know what they are

Windowsipx/spx-Compatible protocol Driver (NWLINK>VXD)

VxD File Description TCAATDI.VXD

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
Windowsipx/spx-Compatible protocol Driver (NWLINK>VXD)
is for ipx/spx support in a mixed windows/novel network...don't know why you would have ipx/spx enabled but...it shouldn't be hurting anything to block that...or uninstall the ipx/spx support

VxD File Description TCAATDI.VXD
is a description of the vxd file being used by the ipx/spx protocol

Angelia

Angelia

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 556 posts
thanks so much every since yesterday when i downloaded a virus to my computer i'm pretty scared about everything.Cause i'm still having problems with computer