Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Wireless Network and XP/SP 2

• Please log in to reply

beedleb

beedleb

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi all!

I am running Windows XP SP1 on a Dell laptop which is on a wireless network. My "landline" PC which hosts the wireless router and cable connection is an old Gateway running Win98. I have twice installed WinXP service pack 2 on the Dell and subsequently lost my ability to connect the laptop to the wireless network. After backing out the SP2 install I can connect to the network again. So no big deal, right? Well, now I have a problem. I need to install an SSL application at home in order to access applications for work which I currently access through a VPN connection. The new application requires SP2 or it will not proceed with the install. I'm looking for advice on getting my WinXP/Win98 wireless setup to function with SP2 in place. Any thoughts?

Michelle

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
i'm gonna go on a hunch here and say that it's the windows firewall that's screwing this up...install sp2 (which will install the windows firewall) then disable the firewall and see if the connection comes back kup..