Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer doesnt detect Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply

doire

doire

• PipPipPip
  • 210 posts
Hi,

Im attempting to boot up a computer. However before it gets to the Win XP logo screen i get the error message

"Unable to detect primary or secondary HDD"

When i try and boot up again i get the "Press F1 to try again or F2 to run setup" error message

I have been in the BIOS and tried AUTO Detect but when i look at the devices in the BIOS it just says Primary Master Unknown Device ...which is the HDD

Seconday Master Unknown Device.....which is the CD ROM

I have also reinstalled the HDD and even uninsatlled the CD ROM but still it didnt work.

Th strange thing is that i can press open on the CD ROM device and it opens!!!!

The HDD is a Hitachi Deskstar

The pc is DELL Optiplex

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
so bios doesn't detect the drive at all? did this just happen out of the blue or did something happen to cause this?

doire

doire

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 210 posts

so bios doesn't detect the drive at all? did this just happen out of the blue or did something happen to cause this?

No BIOS just picks up the HDD and CD ROM as "Unknown Device" and hence my pc wont boot.

The pc was ok yesterday but the user turned it on this morning and got the error message

"Unable to detect primary or secondary HDD"

"Press F1 to try again or F2 to run setup

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Administrator
  • 26,019 posts
  • MVP
if possible...can you try booting to the hd in another computer? if you have another computer available..pull out any hds in it...and put this hd in there...see if it recognizes the drive there