Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Possible PSU problem

• Please log in to reply

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

My intel 3.0 shows these results in speedfan.

3.3v = 3.28
-12v = -12.77
-5v = -5.90

SRX660

Wow, yeah looks like my PSU is definitely hurting. And what is an "Intel 3.0" by the way?

Edited by mcsmc, 08 March 2006 - 05:59 AM.

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Yeh, those decimals look in the right place. :tazz:

Try another free monitor utility and see if it reports the same before purchasing a new PS. The one you looked at has great specs, but I have never used it and can't make a recommendation.

See if you want to DL this before you buy as a check against SpeedFan:

Updated links:

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

OR

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13

Thanks to Keith for link info.

Ron

Edited by Major Payne, 08 March 2006 - 08:15 AM.

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Check for updated video card drivers

Click start then run, type prefetch then press enter, click edit then select all, right click any file then click delete, confirm delete

Click start, all programmes, accessories, system tools to run disc clean up, then from system tools, run disc defragmenter.

Click start then run, type sfc /scannow then press enter, you will need the XP CD

System File Check will display an onscreen blue progress bar, when the bar goes, reboot.

Click start then run, type chkdsk /f /r then press enter, type Y to confirm for next boot, press enter then reboot.

Windows will appear to load normally then either the monitor will show progress or the screen will go blank, do not disturb this. This will take an hour or so before it gets to the desktop.

When it gets to the desktop, the system files and the hard drive will be as they should and you can check for any improvement

This will rule out another couple of things which can also cause the crashes

I've completed all of these steps. The only thing I haven't done is a chkdsk on partitions other than C:\ (my Windows installation partition). The sfc scan came back normal, the defragmentation was good but hasn't had any affect on my computer's performance that I can see, and the chkdsk appeared to go rather smoothly. I'm going to run chkdsk on my other partitions, and run that trial utility mentioned next. I'm still thinking it is likely my PSU.

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Yeh, those decimals look in the right place. :tazz:

Try another free monitor utility and see if it reports the same before purchasing a new PS. The one you looked at has great specs, but I have never used it and can't make a recommendation.

See if you want to DL this before you buy as a check against SpeedFan:

Updated links:

http://www.filehippo...d_everest_home/

OR

http://www.geekstogo...tion=show&id=13
Thanks to Keith for link info.

Ron

Ron -

Everest doesn't show the -12v and -5v on the Sensor, but all other voltages show, and they are almost the same reading as SpeedFan. The geekstogo link comes up as invalid.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts

The geekstogo link comes up as invalid.

I may have copied/pasted incorrectly, but if you're getting same readings of voltages as SpeedFan's (which I never doubted), then you are on the right track.

Ron

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
It sure does look like the PSU...I'd be willing to bet that there are some pretty wide fluctuations in available power as the machine switches from drive to drive, too. That would cause all kinds of issues including, system hangs, read/write errors, and sudden shutdowns.

wannabe1

mcsmc

mcsmc

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

It sure does look like the PSU...I'd be willing to bet that there are some pretty wide fluctuations in available power as the machine switches from drive to drive, too. That would cause all kinds of issues including, system hangs, read/write errors, and sudden shutdowns.

wannabe1

Okay, well it looks like its time to get a new PSU. That'll be my next step. Thanks for the help.