Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

VIRUS IN GMAIL ACCOUNT

• Please log in to reply

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi everyone, it's been a while since I've been to g2g.

there seems to be a virus in my gmail account. It's been
sending itself to my contact. It has mushy messages in the subject. The
mail body contains a blank picture, preceded by a heading saying "Click
on the attachment to load a picture" . It has a mushy poem. It has an
exe attachment.

Coincidentally I've never had spam in this account until last week. I
got 2 mails from different users with "photo photo2 photo3" in the
subject, and an attachment. I did not open these and marked them as
spam. I do not know whether the incidents are related.

I do not use this account for group mailing and subscriptions. Nor do I
put this email address on websites. I use it for personal mails only.

I've sent a warning to all my contacts.

This is serious. Why aren't the google people paying attention? There must've been similar incidents elsewhere? They must take steps, or atleast issue a warning.

What can I do by myself?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
it's more likely that someone is just "spoofing" the email address....as it's not really possible to "infect" a webbased email account...

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
if you are sure that you where infected with something...Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

if you are sure that you where infected with something...Please go to the malware forum and follow the instructions at the top....Especially the CLICK HERE .
That will give you several steps that will help you clean up 70 percent of all problems by yourself. If at the end of the process you are still having difficulty--and you may not be-- then post a hijackthis log in THAT forum.
If you are still having problems after getting a clean bill of health from the malware expert, please return to this thread.

I don't think my "computer" has been infected. I use AVG, Ad Aware, SpybotSD, HJT, Zonealarm, all updated. None of the scans showed anything. Besides, I've had no problem with my computer. If you read my post, mails have been sent from my gmail account. If those scans don't show anything, is there much I can do?

Mails containing "photo photo2 photo3" are keeping on coming. Should I create a filter for them?

Mile Runner

Mile Runner

• PipPipPip
  • 455 posts
Every single virus program has a hole in it, it dosent scan a certain part, i just wanted to put the option out there. it is you who desides what to do not me. i just can suggest.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
just as a note here....it's very unlikely that a virus on your computer would affect an online mail account...a local account that you connect to via outlook or thunderbird yes...but a mail account that you ONLY access online? not likely...it's most likely that someone is spoofing your email..you may have been a victim of phishing...or someone may have just gotten your addy from a list somewhere..

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

just as a note here....it's very unlikely that a virus on your computer would affect an online mail account...a local account that you connect to via outlook or thunderbird yes...but a mail account that you ONLY access online? not likely...it's most likely that someone is spoofing your email..you may have been a victim of phishing...or someone may have just gotten your addy from a list somewhere..

that may be... however I once did access my account with outlook and thuderbird.... but that was months ago.

Johanna

Johanna

The Leather Lady

• 3,038 posts
Desenette is correct- and you needn't "warn" anybody. Your email address has been spoofed to make the spam emails appear legitimate.

Johanna

thepiper

thepiper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
surprisingly, those mails continue to come to my account with yahoo. My contacts haven't reported any, I just took a pre - emptive step.