Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Extra wireless keyboard, can I install on Windows 98?

• Please log in to reply

tofu5

tofu5

• PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Last summer I bought a Dell computer, Dimension, Windows XP. It came with a wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. I recently got a new keyboard and would like to use last years wireless keyboard on my Windows 98 computer. But cannot find the software to make it function. I have gone through my new computer and cannot find the software for the wireless keyboard in my new computer. I have all the cd's that came with the computer but none are labeled for the installation of the keyboard. What can I do to see if this will work with the older computer?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if the keyboard came from dell..you may be able to get the drivers from their website....on the bottom of the keyboard there should be a sticker with a make and model n umber...and possibly an FCC number...if you can find those post them

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I do not see a make and model number. The fcc # is AQ6-7D40.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://yesky.xinhuan...0518/301040.jpg is this the keyboard?

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
ftp://ftp.dell.com/input/r89506.exe <--found that from http://www.driverreq...098&FORUM_ID=15 there

don't know if it's an xp driver or universal..

Dell Computer Keyboard
Wireless Optical Keyboard & Mouse (non-bluetooth)
Model #: RT7D40 (Keyboard)
Windows XP
FCCID: AQ6-7D40 (Keyboard)
FCCID: JNZ211651 (Mouse)

full info on the mouse/keyboard combo

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Yes, that is the keyboard. I went to your second post, the question from the other person looking for the driver. But did not see/understand the answer.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
the first link that i posted is an actual link to the dell driver file...i'm just not sure if it's an all os driver OR an os specific driver..

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
O.K. Will check it out and see if that works. Merci. Go Vols.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

Merci. Go Vols.

i'm trying to help and you use such foul language?!?!?! HOW DARE YOU!!!
j/k i'm a transplant to knoxvegas...can't stand football...and i can stand the VOLS even less

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Thats funny. I live an hour ne of K'town and am also a transplant. My husband loves college football, I could care less(or less than that). Somehow I thought everyone who lived in Knoxvegas was Vol crazy. I am pleased to know there is at least one sane person. My apologies.

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
north east...hmmmm......anderson county?

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
Hawkins County. The keyboard works. Actually, this was for my husbands computer, he asked if I could find anything on the internet on how to hook it up. Last summer he bought a new computer from Dell, and to make a very long story short, the third computer finally worked. He wasted a lot of time trying to get each one functional, and I spent a lot of time on the telephone with(or waiting to talk with) a Dell rep. We could not bear to call Dell for their help with this. Thank you very much for getting this working.
While I have you on the line(I could post this if you prefer), my Gateway w/Windows 98(given to me used by a friend a few years ago) has started in the past few weeks showing the note "you have done an Illegal Procedure et al". I used to close down immediately but now I just ignore it. This usually comes up after I have been in Outlook Express but not everytime I am in OE. It very rarely comes up from just being on the Internet. I do CleanUp everytime I am on the Internet, AdAware once a week or so and check with AVG Free once a week or so. I do not scan or defrag much as they take so long, they say something is running in the background that slow the process down but I have no idea what. I disenable the screensaver for that process but it makes no difference. Anything else I should be doing that may be making the Illegal Procedure come up?

Edited by tofu5, 09 March 2006 - 08:04 AM.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
start > run, type
eventvwr.msc
<enter>

Look under systems and applications for items with red Xs that happened at the SAME time as your problem...list them here.

tofu5

tofu5

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
I did that, it came up with " Cannot find eventvwr.msc (or one of its components." et al

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
darned 98...i forgot about that...

i don't rememver where it is in 98

can you do start > help > and search for event viewer and see if it tells you how to open it?