Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

How Do You Install Programs In Linux

• Please log in to reply

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• PipPip
  • 29 posts
I installed linux in my computer and it works just fine it detects almost all the drivers and my internet but i do not know how to install programs because they all come in source code.
I read something that told me that i needed to log in as a root administrator in console and i did it but i did not find a way to install the program
it also said that i need to compile the file?
can anyone help me with this or anybody has a tutorial that explains it good?

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
there are a few ways to install programs in linux (what version of linux by the way)

#1 is to download the program in RPM format which will allow you to install the programs in a similar fashion to normal windows installs

#2 is to cd to the directory where the source files are located (in a command shell) and then type

./configure

then

make

then
make install

then

make clean

little more info here http://www.linuxques...ead.php?t=45094

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks i will give it a try when i get home
i have mandriva linux i don't remember what version but i also have fedora core 4 but i think its the same on both

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
i've got mandriva as well...and i've worked in fedora core....the process listed above will work in both

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts
To do the make install, you typically need to do it is "root", but you can also normally select the location to install the program, which can be in your home directory or some other place. You need to either add that location to your path variable or specify the complete path.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
to become root, in the console, type "su" [enter] then enter your root password [enter]

ex:

$	 su
Password:		
#	 cd <directory where source code is>
#	 ./configure
#	 make
#	 make install
#	 make clean

you should read the "INSTALL" file that is usually in the same folder as the configure script. this will tell you the exact commands that are needed, sometimes a "make all" or "make depend" may replace a make command listed above. also sometimes there is no configure script, just type make and its done. this should be the same with all i386 linux distros that have gnu make, and gcc installed.

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
thanks for all the help

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
I try the codes that it says right here but they don't work i do not know what i am doing wrong but i apreciate the help you have given me

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
what is the exact file you are installing?

a link to the download would be nice, then we can try to install it, and tell you how we did it if we get it to work.

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2
its a media player
its located on /home/ratilio

Advertisements

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,727 posts

MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2
its a media player
its located on /home/ratilio

Ok, so what is the error that you are getting?

BTW, you might also look to see if you can find a rpm, which is precompiled. Also, you might want to check out "xine", a similar program, which I prefer.

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts

su
Password: (enter your root password here)

cd /home/ratillio

tar zxf MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2

cd MPlayer-1.0pre7try2

./configure --enable-gui

make

make install

if the configure script tells you errors, then post them here, also it may say that you are missing some library or some other required component. post what it says here. if it gives you no errors, and you are able to 'make' and 'make install' fine, try running:

gmplayer <path and filename of movie file>

Thebinaryman

Thebinaryman

• PipPipPip
  • 326 posts
you should aslo try vlc media player http://www.videolan.org

that may be just as hard to install though, unless you are using an os that is compatable with the 'yum' command. in that case "yum -y install vlc" is all you need to type, and every package needed will be automatically installed.

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
this is what i get when i try what you tell me
i think it must be me
[ratilio@localhost ~]$ su
Password:
[root@localhost ratilio]# cd /home/ratilio
[root@localhost ratilio]# tar zxf MPlayer-1.0pre7try2.tar.bz2

gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
tar: Child returned status 1
tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
[root@localhost ratilio]#

el_rata_y3k

el_rata_y3k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts
i am really confused now i used to think linux was easy but now i think its weird
i mean i like it but its just a big complication for new users and i also would like to know why if the rpms when i click on the they don't self install but they are opened on a folder way