Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PCI Ethernet Card drivers install needing windows 98se files

• Please log in to reply

jamesbob

jamesbob

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I just reformatted the desktop. I need the PCI Ethernet drivers installed so I can get it online...but it's asking for files off the Windows 98se CD while I've got an "Operation System Backup CD Version 98". So I've been getting the dll files off the internet one by one, but then it asks for the file 'networks' and I've not been able to find that anywhere.

I've been getting the run around with Gateway and my ISP. The ISP wanted to change the modem since it's anchient and doesn't support USB, but I'm not sure if that'll fix the problem since they said windows 98 doesn't support it if it's not secound edition.

One of the techs I talked to suggested I download a copy of windows and burn it, but that I didn't hear it from them. It's searching for the files in this file.
E:\wincabs\98se

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
what make and model is the ethernet card?

if you're wanting to stay with 98...i would suggest looking on the internet (ebay for sure) for a copy of 98SE..you can usually find acopy for like 50 bucks...

jamesbob

jamesbob

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
PCI Ethernet Card
LFE-8139ATX/HTX Complete Driver Diskette (1.31 MB), 2001/12/20
Win98 (20 KB), 2001/10/9

I allready got the drivers here:
http://www.ovislink....tw/download.htm

---
Problem :tazz:

I tried skipping some files I couldn't find and was told to skip any that it would allow my to and now I'm getting errors at start up

"Can not find a device file that may be needed to run windows or a windows application.

The windows regestry or system.ini file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists..." (conitues)
"netsup.vxd"

same thing with "vredir.vxd" file at the end

--------
*edit*
I'm still gettting those errors, but I found a disc to install drivers with, but that's missing RTL8139.sys and the ones here don't seem to work http://www.realtek.c...6&Software=True

If I can figure out how to get the PCI ethernet card working it'd be worth it to reformat everything back to a clean slate, then adding the drivers again.

Edited by jamesbob, 08 March 2006 - 02:42 PM.