Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

questions about new system

• Please log in to reply

poppachip

poppachip

• Pip
  • 2 posts
HI,
I am thinking about building my first system and need some advice. I will be using the system for surfing internet, video editing ( converting old vhs to dvd), etc.

What motherboard ?
What AMD cpu should I use.
How much memory?
I would like to connect to a new lcd tv i just bought (Niko 26").

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
The biggest question is what is your budget.

If youve got a fair budget one of the X2 range would be best, mobo pretty much anything nforce4, memory 1Gb min 2Gb reccomended.

Gfx card if you dont play games something cheap would do, if you want to play some games you might want to invest a little more.

poppachip

poppachip

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
budget isaround 700-800 dollars

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Look around at tiger direct and newegg for a barebones system. These are a good start. Another good start is to buy a basic Monarch computers furia barebones kit. You can pick and choose a good combination for around $800 for a 939/athlon 64 PCI-E system. For DVD-rw, hard drives and other hardware you really cant beat newegg's prices. Specialty items like fans and such i would look at nexfan and Xoxide websites. The video card you select will let you connect to your TV(although i suspect that lcd tv's do not have the resolution a monitor would have). Get at least a gig of memory if not 2 gigs( the more the merrier). I like the gigabyte, MSI and even some foxconn motherboards. buy the fastest processor you can aford after picking all the other hardware out. a good 3800 processor would be nice.

SRX660