Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

XP restarting, then blue screen on reinstall

• Please log in to reply

Kindras

Kindras

• Pip
  • 8 posts
It all began a few days ago, when i decided to install Final Fantasy XI. I've installed it before on my system and its once worked.
(this might need to be in the XP forum)

I went to do the update( for the game) using my friends account which had another expansion installed . However, my PC only had the original and first expansion, although since the program scans files it would not try to update.
(note, not asking about FFXI help here. Just stating what happened)
(I turned my computers language to japanese, and installed the language pack, however that may not be a cause of the problem i dont think)
Eventually the Download would stop. It said "internal hard drive error" so i had to restart. I eventually got it all downloaded. THe thing is, that i think the problem may have rooted right then and there. since the files that were not there were probably the things causing the overall issues. I dont know exactly buti think that may have caused the problem.

THen, once i began playing the game..after a little while later..The computer randomly restarted. I was really really ticked. After a short freakout i was hoping this wouldnt happen again.
The next day, it restarted after i was playing the same gaime again.
Then it happened when i was playing Counter strike source. NOw i was really confused.

my friend sent me a registry cleaner,and adaaware. So i ran both and then no difference in performace. I installed Everest and took a look at my heating. my power fan hadno monitor, so i think its unplugged. however, the computer was running fine before the moument. with my huge case, it gets a lot of ventilation.

After all of this, i prepared to reformat. Having a problem with the computer like this that was not really instant fixable, i burned a dvd of my information and made a 98 Boot disk.
(now i took apart my computer, installed my other 8GB hdd, on another HDD controller and then closed ti all up. When i went into windows, i could read and write to the drive , it was working and capable)

I rebooted with the boot disk. ran Fdisk
deleted the primary partition on disk 1.
Deleted the partition on fixed disk 2.
went back to the main disk and created a dos partition
size 10GB( of my 120 GB drive, drive 2 is 8gb(linux drive mainly))
then, i went back and threw in my XP install CD
however, setup actually went blue screen for the first time. Ill have the error up here later if needed .(im typing this at school, since my computer is fubared)
So i tried it again, and the same blue screen came up!

so i started getting ready to install my linux(slackware)

i made my boot floppy, and everything needed in dos.the last error i recently encountered was that when booting from my linux boot floppy, it didnt like the floppy( something wrong happened there)

so now im gonna replace the floppies with brand new ones and try it again . for some reason it wouldnt boot off cd

What im asking is
a) for any insight on the problem, what i might want to try
b) any hardware parts that may have caused the problem, and suggestions of what to replace.
any input will be greatly apprieciated

~Kindras~

Advertisements

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Hi' Try testing the ram with memtest86 you don't need a hdd or os installed to run it.

List your voltages as reported buy Everest.

Rick

Kindras

Kindras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I ran memtest and it froze. Im pretty sure that my memory is toast.
I managed to get XP installed once, but it did another reboot later. this just cant be a software problem.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
yea your right its hardware, very strange memtest froze it usually runs even if the ram is bad, about the only time I have seen memtest fail to run is when the computer won't post due to bad ram

Could you try a different psu first?

Rick

Kindras

Kindras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
the plan for tonight is:
1) to switch my RAM slot to another one
2) Actually find out how to switch my motherboard to 800mhz. its running at 200mhz according to memtest, so that means im not maxing out at all.
3) Run memtest86 all night.

Hopefully this will clear some things up. If i get the thing running i'll try to run everest

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts

2) Actually find out how to switch my motherboard to 800mhz. its running at 200mhz according to memtest, so that means im not maxing out at all.

If your running a p4 the 200mhz as reported by memtest is correct because (without going into a lot of detail) the processor is quad pumped 200mhz X 4 =800

Rick

Kindras

Kindras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
HMm. Memtest86 still freezes. I dont know why. i leftit on all night, yet it was still frozen. it fries when it gets to step 3.

Im 100% sure memtest is freezing. I just have to find out why.

possible problems:
a) overheating
b) bad ram
3) CMOS battery?

i had to flash my bios a whole bunch of times.
I am going to post my temperatures from everest if windows installs again. once i get home i'll list my bios temperatures.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Does memtest list any errors before the freeze?

Go into bios and list your voltages and temps

Rick

Kindras

Kindras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
had to flash the bios a few times. not looking good.
however, good news is

after a few flashes, and stuff. trying to istall redhat.
Once i rebooted...i got 2 beeps outta my bios which means theres something wrong with the memory, linking the problem directly to my RAM

hopefully i can find the warranty on it.

my CPU temperatures:
CPU TEMP: 27C-80.5 F
MB TEMP: 24C / 75F

CPU Fan Speed: 2721 rpm

Power Fan speed: 1687 RPM

And my system has 2 MORE chassis fans ran straight to the power supply because of my case.
so i think i have decent cooling in that thing.

So im gonna have to either take in the ram with the warranty. or Buy new ram . I have no idea why it goes tho.

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I am not positive it is the ram although it could be, can you put the ram in another computer and run memtest, Those 2 beeps don't mean bad ram the system will only beep if it can't find any usable memory but won't beep at all if the memory has errors. Your ram is usable because you can access bios but the ram could have errors preventing the os install.

How many sticks of ram? if more than one take one out and try loading the os if problem persists then try the other one by itself

Can you list the voltages in bios?

List your full system specs

I would not flash the bios anymore untill you can load the os, I can't see the need to. You have to either test the ram or put in a different stick to see if that will fix it. If it don't then you trouble shoot the psu

Rick

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
Oh yea your temps are good

Kindras

Kindras

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
I swapped the RAM and now im running windows. im going to try a few more diagnostic tests.

I swapped the ram and after running memtest it froze again!

Doby

Doby

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,075 posts
I don't understand, you installed different ram and windows will run but when you ran memtest with the new ram it frooze is this what you mean.

Rick