Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Epson R800 Cartridges

• Please log in to reply

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
My Epson R800 Stylus photo printer is only a few months old, but it's time to replace a couple of the cartridges: matte black and cyan. Anybody out there with this unit ever used a compatible cartridge in it? I see prices on the web running $7 for compatibles and $11 for Epson-brand. Are there any established and trusted compatible manufacturers? Of course, Epson says to use only THEIR cartridges because a "knock-off" could leak - damaging your printer and voiding your warranty .... obviously something I want to avoid...

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Ignore what Epson say, they just want you to stick with them.
Compatible cartridges are every bit as good as the originals, plus they usually last a bit longer and are cheaper to boot. Plus a compatible cartridge is a compatible cartridge - no real difference as long as it fits the printer and is the right colour.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
For the R800 Epson want 21 USD here though compatibles go for around a tenth of that

I bought two new R220 and have used compatibles from the off at 9 USD for the set with an extra black cartridge

Try a compatible to see if it runs well, not all of them do

Colt Hero

Colt Hero

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts
Thanks for your time. Could you recommend a particular vendor of compatibles?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I'm in the UK so the sites I use won't apply for your location, though sites like pricegrabber usually show the cheapest sites, though try to get just a single set of compatibles so you can check those that work

When you change a cartridge the first couple of prints will still be using ink from the previous cartridge so print a few pages before deciding

Datawrite make good ones if you can get them