Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Updating my Radeon card

• Please log in to reply

joshuagor44

joshuagor44

• PipPip
  • 54 posts
With a week passed since I emailed ATI, I doubt I'll ever get a response. Bless anyone who can help me. Here's my problem:

I've been having trouble playing one of my video games, and EA suggested (after viewing my dxdiag log) updating my drivers.

I have never updated my drivers and wasn't even the one who installed my card a few months ago. Nor do I know my current driver version. The last time someone tried updating the drivers for my GeForce card, my monitor stopped displaying anything and I was forced to reformat.

This time, with my Radeon 9600PRO (256MB), I would like step-by-step instructions on how to do it.

If you need any additional information, please ask. I want the specifics on how to update as not to ruin my computer.

Thank you for the support,

Josh

-Attached is my dxdiag information.

Attached Files

Advertisements

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
https://support.ati....?questionID=640 is where you need to go. In fact new drivers just released today.

Just download them in the order presented - Step 1 is the .NET framework, Step 2 is the drivers themselves and Step 3 you may not need.

joshuagor44

joshuagor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thank you for the help so far, Neil.

Is there anything I have to uninstall? And how do I know if I should download the third component or not?

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts

ATI’s new Avivo™ Video Converter is the fast and easy way to transform your videos to play on today’s new breed of portable entertainment devices. The Avivo Video Converter is a “transcoder,” a tool that converts digital video from one file format to another, enabling the same video clip to play on industry standard home DVD/DivX® players, PC’s or portable media devices such as the Apple® iPod®, Sony® portable gaming device, Creative® Zen™ and many others.

If you don't do any of that stuff now, you don't need it.

joshuagor44

joshuagor44

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
Thanks again.

Do I uninstall my current drivers? Pardon my incompetence.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• 8,476 posts
Just download and run the files, one at a time. They'll take care of everything.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
But unless youre having a specific problem manufacturers reccomend you DO NOT install new drivers(in fact it says so in big letter on ATI drivers read me now that will come up when you DL), usually for most people updating drivers is a regular thing and if youre a gamer its essential but if you only make light use of the card and it is working normally you want gain any advatage from the drivers other than the ones it came with.

Edited by warriorscot, 09 March 2006 - 05:27 PM.