Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

troubles with samsung dvd rom drive

• Please log in to reply

tulsa

tulsa

• PipPip
  • 33 posts
I have a Samsung SD 616F DVD ROM drive which used to work perfectly.
It hangs now whenever it tries to read anything, CD's DVD's it doesn't matter.. it just whirls itself into oblivion and causes my computer to hang (not always but way too frequently). Pressing the open button on the drive doesn't always work either. Many times I've had to press the reset on my computer to reboot.
My operating system is ME, I'm using an AMD Athalon 1.1ghz.
The drive worked perfectly until I had a virus which I was able to get rid of thanks to the great techs here at Geeks to Go. Shortly after finally getting rid of the viruses etc., the drive stopped recognizing discs.
Will re-flashing the drive fix this problem?
Please help if you can.

Thanks,
tulsa :tazz:

Advertisements

tulsa

tulsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
?????

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Is the dvd-rom listed in device manager? If there is a yellow question mark there you have lost the drivers for it. Win ME usually needs dvd drivers to read dvd's. Do you know if the drivers are on the computer now.

I have deleted the dvd-rom drive out of device manager and rebooted the computer so windows can reload the drivers again, but i hesitate here because i have had problems reloading the dvd drivers again. Windows would give me a error message that drivers were already there but the drive would not read dvd's. It did read cd's after doing this. You might see if you can uninstall the dvd drivers in add/remove programs. Then reinstall the program. The only problem here is they might not be in add/remove.

SRX660

tulsa

tulsa

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
Thanks for your reply SRX660,
Later tonight when I get home, I'll give you the whole low-down of messages and findings from device manager.
I know I got a yellow error message beside the controller, but it would be better that I give you the precise info from device manager which I'll get for you.
I'll have the info for you tonight.
Thanks

tulsa