Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New graphics card

• Please log in to reply

Skittle

Skittle

• PipPip
  • 22 posts
:tazz: I've installed a Geforce MX4000 standard PCI. When I switch the computer back on, the desktop is in a small window in the middle of the screen and there are no icons in sight. If i try and open a window via the Start menu, it opens up outside of the monitor area and therefore I can't install the drivers.

How do I get the screen to be normal?

Skittle

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
We need more info. When you installed the new video card did you either uninstall the drivers for the old card or uninstall the onboard video drivers? If you had on-board video did you disable it in the BIOS? You might try taking the video card out and see if windows will bot up normal.

SRX660

Skittle

Skittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
:tazz: I've taken the card out now and my computer is booting up as normal now. I didn't have a graphics card in before, I have an Intel Graphics media accelerator. I didn't get as far as installing the drivers for the Geforce.

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
For you to install the graphics card do this. Start the computer but immediately go into the bios( usually hitting the delete key on startup). In the bios you will need to find the on-board graphics and set it to disable. Save your settings( usually F10) and shut down the computer. Install the graphics card and plug the monitor into it. Restart the computer and you should get a new hardware found window. Install the drivers for the graphics card. You may have to restart the computer but you should be good to go then.

SRX660

Skittle

Skittle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
I couldn't find anything that actually said graphics card, but I did change it to PCI external. I've now managed to install a different card (FX5200) and drivers but now the pc seems to be defaulting to the Intel. I tried disabling the Intel on device manager and ended up with a black screen on reboot. Therefore I've had to remove the graphics card to get the monitor back again. So I'm back to square one now - no graphics card installed. Any suggestions how to get round it defaulting to Intel?

Skittle