Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Slow Boot

• Please log in to reply

juels

juels

• Pip
  • 9 posts
It takes me a good 7-10 minutes to boot up anymore. Started after I finally got it to recognize the new CD drive. I did this by setting it's jumpers to slave. It's a cheap drive, I/O magic. Did I do something wrong? :tazz:
O, it's not this puter, it's a optiplex GX150, pentium 3, 2000 SP4

Edited by juels, 08 March 2006 - 03:56 PM.

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
possible...can you tell us the configuration of the computer...how many drives, what ribbons they are hooked up to

Also, did you drop into bios and tell the IDE controller it was a cd-rom, rather than a harddrive.

That is an older machine and the automatic drive detection feature might not be detecting a newer drive. So you enter the bios, go to the drive setup, and select the drive type

juels

juels

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
okkz! Koolio I'll try that b4 I try to figure out the 1st thing...lol I've chgd memory and the cd, put in a power src, well watched, and the jumpers deal but that's about it. I know where the HD is, and what the processor looks like....anyway....if you can help me form there I can tell you what you need to know. But I'll give the bios deal a go first, cuz I don't think I did that. But also, why would I have to? The other dive I took out wrkd fine...I didn't chg anything. Is it because this is such a freakin cheap drive? I guess I learned my lesson on cheap acessories and parts. Bought a pwr src with a "good price" too...boy is it noisy...Live & learn...TYVM bbl

juels

juels

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
what's goin on now

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Which bits have you done?

juels

juels

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I have gone into bios>>secondary>>on>>1>>exit & save
But I have to do that every time.
No option on boot menu for cd
Have a Masterboot Floppy, will load some drivers but eventually end up with unsuccessful install of cd-rom
Don't know what to do when it reaches smartdrv tho.

juels

juels

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
I made a set of boot floppies and booted to them. It allowed me to go ahead and do a fresh install. Problem solved. I have a cd-rom in My computer, Device Mngr, but no option on the boot menu. Still says secondary disk not found. Do I need to set the jumpers? Can someone refresh me?