Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Gmail notify being very, very bad

• Please log in to reply

EMCguy

EMCguy

• PipPipPip
  • 729 posts
I dont check my logs very often, but today I've noticed that ZA free has been blocking outbound access for my Gmail Notify program.

That fine, because I wanted it blocked. And I wouldn't be too worried if it was just trying to contact Google. But it is literally trying to acess the DNS on every web site that I've visited, and many more that I dont recognize. Sometimes it will try for 99 connects, before it gives up and tries again in a few minutes. There are literally tens of thousands of blocked access attempts. :)

I wrote to google about it, and got an automatic cryptic reply bascially saying they wouldnt reply to my email because there were related FAQs at their help center. Yah right - I've checked and they have some questions about how to get firewalls from blocking gnotify. THATS NOT WHAT I'M ASKING !!! I want to know why they are contacting every site I've visited, and what do they intend to do next. :tazz:

CastleCops has a related thread about Gmail and spyware here http://castlecops.co...ite145717-.html

Google cant be so stupid that they are really bundling spyware or being spyware, can they ????? :)

Ive written to a zone alarm support forum about it, and hopefully there will be some innocent explanation,
but it really is beginning to bug me.

It appears it is always going to port 53 of the IP its trying to contact (which is legit for DNS), but where does Google get off wasting my bandwidth trying to connect to every DNS server of every site I've visited???? Not to mention the privacy issues. And how are they getting those IP's. I guess there is no such thing as a free lunch.

Google is my favorite search engine, but it wont be if this keeps up.

Dissappointed in google

EMCguy

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just uninstall gmail notifier(you know you can use outlook with Gmail its good for keeping track of emails).

thepiper

thepiper

• PipPip
  • 74 posts
I've noticed it to with google talk. Since I've authorised ZA to allow gtalk all access, it doesn't ask me anything, however, I've noticed that there is a lot of traffic even if i'm not accessing anything / or chatting.

Hasn't google phased out notifier? When I used it before, u always had to click on " Check mail now" to view new mails, which is pretty pointless. Connectivity used to be horrible.
When I installed gtalk, it said it had notifying features, and would uninstall notifier. So 2+2 make 4.