Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HDD problems

• Please log in to reply

comptard

comptard

• PipPip
  • 13 posts
hey guys been awhile since i last posts...mainly cause i havent had any problems with my computer. But recently i bought WoW. when i installed it it ran fine, about a day or 2 later my hard drive started making popping or clicking noises. I shrugged it off as natural loading errors, untill it started doing it ever 5 minutes or so. The next day i loaded up the game...and it stopped..the screen froze and the clicking increased, not only was the g=frozen, but when i went to desktop everything moved slowly. Ive tried running disc error, but it froze also. The HDD is a western digital...i post the other details when i get home.

Advertisements

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Sounds like your drive is/has crashed. When you get home, and if you can boot, go to Start/run... type in CHKDSK /r
You will probably see a dialog box giving you the option to run this after next boot up. Confirm yes, then reboot the computer.
Running CHKDSK with the /r switch will take a while as it will perform maintenance on the entire disk. Depending on how large your disk is, it could take hours. Hopefully, the disk isn't crashed yet and if chkdsk completes and allows boot up, it's highly recommended that you back up your data immediately before doing anything else.

Good luck! :tazz:

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I built this computer from scratch.

motherboard - ASUS A8V socket 939 via k8t800 pro atx amd
processor - AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Venice Integrated into Chip FSB socket 939
video card - GIGABYTE GeForce 6800GT 256MB GDDR3 AGP 4x/8x
ram - 2gig corsair xms
CD/DVD - Lite-on IDE DVD burner
HDD - Western Digital 160gig 7200rpm
SoundCard- Creavtive X-Fi

i reformatted the drive last night , trying to fix it, did not work, i alos tried to defrag it, that did nothing, then i did the disk check last night, and it got the stage 4 and paused for and hour, so i turned it off, im checking it again now,...

Edited by comptard, 08 March 2006 - 08:20 PM.

makai

makai

Portlock - Oahu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,793 posts
Yah, sounds like it crashed. Even if you get the bad sectors mapped and fixed, I would seriously consider replacing the drive. The drive may still be under warranty, so you should probably contact WD and try to get an rma. Good luck.

Edited by makai, 09 March 2006 - 02:29 PM.

comptard

comptard

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
I went out and bought an 80 gig Seagate 7200 rpm, got windows installed and everything downloaded and installed, and everything runs, slowly, even opening my firefox browser takes a good 60 seconds =/ also it feels like my graphics card is freezing up or something in games. =/

Edited by comptard, 12 March 2006 - 05:34 PM.