Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Frames Per Second question...

• Please log in to reply

McKnight

McKnight

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
I was wondering what the ideal Frames Per Second for any general PC game should be; to allow the game to run at good to high quality.

I heard nothing below 30 fps, but I believe that was online. I am speaking strictly single player for any 3-D new-age game (i.e. Doom 3, F.E.A.R., etc.).

Thank you for your time...

Advertisements

DuckingSwan

DuckingSwan

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I find that 40fps and up works well, but it all depends on your personal preference.

Fenor

Fenor

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,236 posts
30fps is the the speed for real movement. When you watch a movie on a dvd, the fps is 29-30fps, so a video game at 30fps will be okay. i find that I like the fps at least 40+, but 30fps is bearable. doom 3 runs at 60fps for me and i find that to be quite enjoyable. :tazz:

But like DuckingSwan said, it all comes down to personal preference and what you are used to. My friend is used to playing games between 20 and 30 fps, and he doesn't mind it. It would drive me nuts, but oh well.... :)

Fenor

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not so much how much of FPS you have its how stable it is, anything above 25 is fine(as thats the rate at which your eye refreshes the image you see) but it doesnt always maintain that and you generally are give an "average" fps so its good to have a safety margin thats why over 30 is what you aim for 40 is a good number and many games are capped at 40 to 60(doom 3 and quake cant go any higher than 60 thats the cap)

McKnight

McKnight

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts
Thank you all for your time and your responses...

Also, do you press Ctrl+Alt+~ to see what the fps is for Doom 3?

Thanks again...

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
General Frames Per Second info, if you're curious how you run games in terms of FPS, I use Fraps and it's nice because my monitor runs at a high resolution so the displayed FPS number is small. If you have a decent resolution, consider trying fraps to benchmark/average your FPS.

Just an opinion, I love fraps. :whistling: It helps me determine how much graphic tweaking I actually have to do to make games run well.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
fraps uses system resources to run so it slows down your games, its not huge but it can be noticable if your gfx card isnt very powerful.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
Really? Hm. You know how much it hogs? Maybe my RADEON 9600 is powerful enough but I've not really had slowdowns due to it, just due to my horrendous 1.4 GHz P4 processor :whistling:

Do most games now have in-game FPS monitors? I use fraps because some games (like CS:S) don't and I can record videos of awesome things I do :blink:

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Actually, CS:S does have a FPS monitor right along with ping, loss, and choke. Go into console type "net_graph 3", then type in "net_graphpos 5". With the net graph, theres 4 settings, just type (instead of 3 ) 1-4, to see which one you like the best.
And as far as the newer games go, FEAR by far is the MOST taxing. Even in SLI theres times when I drop below 20 FPS (everythings set to max, 16x antialiasing), but thats only 3 % of the time, I average about 45 FPS (my average in CS:S is about 140). Doom 3 is no where near as hardcore as FEAR.
-Pete.

Edited by p-zero, 27 March 2006 - 09:56 AM.