Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

System32\drivers\Ntfs.sys error

• Please log in to reply

Loulou

Loulou

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
UGH...we have tried virtually everything...any suggestions?

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
who is we, and what is everything?

Do you have a windows xp cd?

Loulou

Loulou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
My brother and I only have the restoration disk that came with the system

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
that does not explain what you tried.

trying to save myself a little time here offering you solutions you have already tried...since you have tried everything, we can save a ton of time by me not saying

me: do this

you: did that already

me: ok, do this

you: did that too

see my point? Or did "doing everything" basically mean turned the machine on twenty times and kicked the cat?

Loulou

Loulou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
I have followed the instructions that have been posted here and also on the came with the system.

I cannot get to the repair function. When I put in the operating restore disc, it starts to load all the drivers as a normal boot. Then it tries to load windows without giving me a repair feature.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
ok, so you didn't kick the cat then?

Go kick the cat....no just kidding. So, you didn't really try everything...That's fine. I just needed to know

Go here and download this:

http://www.thecomput...edic.com/rc.iso

Go here and get the ISO powertoy that is appropriate for the PC you are posting from now (hopefully XP):

http://isorecorder.a...isorecorder.htm

Install the second, reboot, then right click the first and choose COPY IMAGE TO CD with a blank CD in the cd-burner

Then, come back in a half hour--I am going to dinner right now....will catch you on the flip side if no one else chimes in

Loulou

Loulou

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 10 posts
Thanks for your assistance. My son's computer wiz teacher from our high school is dropping by tomorrow to help. I have files that I have not backed up and i'm afraid to lose them...:tazz: I just don't know how this happened...no new hardware or software was installed today.
Hope you had a nice dinner...thanks again!

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
so, if you have those things and created your disk....

Set the computer to boot to the cd-rom as the first boot device in bios (this is done by pressing f1, f2, or del, usually and looking for BOOT ORDER) then drop the cd-rom and reboot

The CD you burned is a self-contained recovery console. It will load until it takes you to a prompt asking you to select a windows install (just type 1), then it will prompt for a password for the admininstrator account if you have xp pro, or if it is xp home, leave it blank

at the

c:\windows> prompt, type

(assuming D is your CD-rom

copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys c:\windows\system32\drivers\ntfs.sys
<enter>

Should get a message 1 file copied

Remove CD and reboot as normal

Work?

diablura28

diablura28

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I was reading this post because i have the same problem with my windows nt laptop(system32/drivers/ntfs.sys error) I did everthing you instructed but when i tried to copy the file from the cdrw that i burned it told me access is denied.
then i tried to just type
copy d:\i386\ntfs.sys
just to see if this was indeed the cd-rom drive and it said file could not be copied.
Can you help me?