Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Regarding power to a drive...

• Please log in to reply

Grindy

Grindy

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
:tazz:

This is a question for one of you hardware guru's.

I like to use a second drive solely as a backup for important stuff on my main drive. Since I only backup stuff every week or so, I just unplug the drive so as to take some load off my power supply, less noise and heat, and because having a drive that is used only for 15mins a week running constantly is just plain stupid IMHO.

Anyway, I've been unplugging both the ribbon cable and the power cable every time I disconnect it. The system is located in a place where there's not a lot of light and it's a pain to have to use a flashlight to see the ribbon connector to get it in each time.

My question is this: Is it possible for the Bios to "pick up" this drive from time to time just by being plugg'd into the ribbon cable without power to it? And, does anyone see any reason why I can't just leave the ribbon cable plugg'd in and disconnect the power?

Looking forward to hearing from some of you hardware "engineers" on this one.
:)
bob

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah you can leave the IDE cable in it, its what i do if i need to run without a drive. Saves time, if you really want to be fancy you could fit a switch on the power cable(or get an electrcally minded friend to do it) Without power it wont send any signals to the computer and wont respond to any to bios it doest exist with no power.

Edited by warriorscot, 08 March 2006 - 06:55 PM.

Grindy

Grindy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Yeah you can leave the IDE cable in it, its what i do if i need to run without a drive. Saves time, if you really want to be fancy you could fit a switch on the power cable(or get an electrcally minded friend to do it) Without power it wont send any signals to the computer and wont respond to any to bios it doest exist with no power.

Pretty much what I thought, but thanks a bunch for the confirmation... :tazz:

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts
Sound like for what you are doing an external USB drive would work the best since you can turn it on and off without powering down the system and opening the case.

Grindy

Grindy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Sound like for what you are doing an external USB drive would work the best since you can turn it on and off without powering down the system and opening the case.

Excellent point... I think I'll do just that... BTW, is there any sort of "limit" on how many drives you can have running at the same time or is it simply a matter of how many USB ports there are ???
thx again,
bob

Kemasa

Kemasa

Nobody

• Technician
  • 1,575 posts

Excellent point... I think I'll do just that... BTW, is there any sort of "limit" on how many drives you can have running at the same time or is it simply a matter of how many USB ports there are ???
thx again,
bob

Hmmm, I am sure that there is some sort of a limit, but I don't personally know what it is. There could be many different limiting factors, either hardware or software. The main thing is that you want the USB drive to have its own power since otherwise that will quickly be the limiting factor.

Perhaps someone else knows what the limits are.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ive never seen the limit hit myself i suppose you would have to have more drives than there is letters in the alphabet ive never seen a system or network that has gone past Q.

Also if the PC doesnt use the drive it wont be spinning and wont use much power and if you never read from it then it wont use it, you could just leave it in as itll only power up and spin during startup(in theory) or if you do any scans. They also dont use alot of power even when they are on.

Grindy

Grindy

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
Good points...
TYVM :tazz: