Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i'd suggsest turning down the water level to low, the indoor shadows to low, and any other 'unimportant' graphical settings off. by unimportant, I mean stuff that you could live without. unless, of course, you'd rather turn the view distance all the way off, and keep the water level on high.
p.s-is the XT really only 174 on NewEgg? that's probably the best price i've ever seen!

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Maybe you shouldn't just rush into buying another X800. Try searching around to see if there is any better cards for the money you can afford. I don't think that there are but what the [bleep]. Also, get it PCI-E. You don't wnat AGP in this day and age, it's just too old. BTW, do you like my new logo? The arrows on the left are my BF2 rank. I'm a Corporal. OOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH YEEEEEEEEEEEES.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts

Definately an X800 sapphire. Do you know what model it is and what is the card bus?

PCI-Express is the one to go for card bus wise. It is a lot faster than AGP.

My brother has the ATi Radeon X850XT (PCI-E), mine has the ATi Radeon 9800XT (AGP8x) and mine outperforms his. Also, in tables comparing the Radeons, the supposedly model below the pro, the xt, does infact have better specs.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Erm the XT is the top model x800 dont know where you are seeing it below a pro, it goes GT, GTO, GTO2, Pro, XL, XT. But you would be better with something like a 7600 rather than an x800.

And if a 9800 is outperforming a x850 there is something hugely wrong with that PC.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
How odd.

I agree with scott on this one. Sorry.

Edited by Casheti, 17 April 2006 - 05:32 AM.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
He has the Asus X850XT, with omega drivers like mine... -.- I just realised its cause mine is clocked...

And if his still is underperforming what could I do to fix it... He is also on a 64bit system simular to mine.

Casheti, I have 3 FX5200s, that are the 256mb version, I found when you clock above 300mhz core and 500mhz mem the card begins to fail and draw incorrectly, also I found 2 unstable after being clocked...

Edited by SuperSam, 17 April 2006 - 05:36 AM.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Even if it is clocked, it shouldn't out perform by a long stretch. Do you have oblivion also. What specs do each of you run. Or BF2 would do, or Fable

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
We mainly play games on the Steam platform. Though we both play Need for Speed most wanted, san andreas.

My specs are in my sig, hes are:

AMD Athlon64 3200+ (not sure of the codename)
1GB Crucial DDR333 (board can take DDR400)
80GB ATA-133 Maxtor
Asus Radeon X850XT
Gigabyte motherboard
500W Antec PSU

Edited by SuperSam, 17 April 2006 - 05:44 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would run driver cleaner and delete the ATI folder on his computer then do a fresh reinstall of either the omegas or the catalysts.

Even an overclocked 9800 wont come even close to a X850 , is this with the same settings used in the games.

SuperSam

SuperSam

• PipPipPip
  • 693 posts
Yes, both on very maximum.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
See a 9800 cant run HLS or CSS on maximum settings are you running it on DX7 mode on your system. It at least cant run it with high FPS on those settins, high settings on HL2 almost is too much for the x850 let alone the 9800, i cant run it on those settings and my card is better than a 9800 so im probably thinking its kicking itself into DX7 mode.

Alot of games adjust themselves automatically now, BF2 and HL2 do it quite alot if something is set to high and you have to low an FPS for too long it will start turning off AA or AF or HDR or if that doesnt work change modes into DX7, smor games dont do it though as sometimes you dont care how low the fps is you just want it to look good which i like.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
The reason I'm excited about getting a X800XT or 850XT is that both are under $200 on Newegg while the next highest on that list posted in the beginning jump up to $315 and the like...and I'm not at the leisure to spend that much.

But for only $174 I'd upgrade to a XT is a flash. :whistling:

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Good luck with that. XT is an AMAZING card. I'm soooooooo jealous now. My new computer which I will get in about 1 month, will have an X1300 Pro. That is actually a fairly good card. It's way better than normal X1300, the clock and memory speeds are at least 100MHz faster.

Edited by Casheti, 17 April 2006 - 07:15 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well i would get a 7600 instead they are only $200 and it is a better card.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i'd agree with warriorscot. save your money up until you can get a really nice card. then make all your friends jelous by calling them up and saying 'you only have a x800xt? That's soooo old-school! i have an x1900!' (although i know nobody who has 520 dollars to spend on one, so i've never got that call)