Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I have made my mind up, and I am going with the 7900GTX. I have heard lots of good reviews, and people are saying any game they throw at it at any res goes full whack. Who gives a [bleep] about stupid HDR lighting, I'm too busy playing the [bleep] game.

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HDR lighting is the biggest advancement in game realism since they went 3d,if you had played with it you would know.

I really dont get it, the X1900XTX is 50 pounds LESS than the GTX, you must be off your rocker.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
HDR lighting is the biggest advancement in game realism since they went 3d,if you had played with it you would know.

I really dont get it, the X1900XTX is 50 pounds LESS than the GTX, you must be off your rocker.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
*points at WarriorScot* DOUBLE POST DOUBLE POST :help:

And I don't think you've done your HDR research if you think it's not worth getting a card that supports it. And if you have, you are mentally insane and need to be institutionalized :blink:

HDR is possibly the coolest thing ever, in my opinion (besides physics and ragdoll [genius!]). The reason I'm looking to upgrade already is that HDR is what makes Oblivion look as amazing as it can and it will make the upcoming Half-Life Episodes look phenomenal (and apparently the GTO don't gots that jazz :) )

Watch some of the videos of HDR and I know GameSpot has an Oblivion tech review where you can see the game with and without it.

}BP{

PS - Even if the nVidia is better, I'm one of those ATI OR DEATH people, who will stick by ATI (and for me, Intel as well) to the grave! I will never :whistling:

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Where are people getting these odd "fraps user, xfire user, x800 owner" sigs from?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah Admin dosnt like them getting to big, i had 130K worth so had to take some down, how dare people use dial up internet lol.

Well ill never go for one company over the other, i wont buy intel because of there shady business practices at the moment if they fix it and come out with a better chip than AMD for reasonable price but Intel selling things at a reasonable price may be beyond them.

ATI and Nvidi for the last couple of years ATI has been better making the fsatest cards available, wether its what you should get depends on where you come from, in theEU and UK ATI concentrates on rewarding its strong customer base and strengthening it so its much cheaper than nvidia and makes it the obvious choice, in the US ATI is more expensive so Nvidia is then a more reasonable choice. Nvidia has done well with the 7600 and its the best mid to low end marjet chip out. Its a much better attempt than the 6600.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
How come nobody answers my question. Where do i get those sig things like "avast user" and "X800 owner" and "xfire user"? Also, I will go for the X1900XTX becasue I have been pressuered into it, because everyone seems to like it so much. Don't know when I will get it though. Probably in a month or so.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts

all you guys are from england! How many british pounds are in an american dollar!?

Use google. British pound to USD

And as for the userbars, right click, view image, and then you'll see the sight the got them from.

The original site is here.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know you can always find things the same way i do, GOOGLE.

Cashetti you sound like we just shot your first born child and offered you a some sort of monkey in return. Instead weve told you where to get a Faster AND cheaper gfx card youre saving like £50 on an x1900XTX.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yeah, OK. I will get the nVidia Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX PCI-EXPRESS 512MB GDDR3 GFX CARD, because I have finally had to accept the truth. IT IS BETTER.

Advertisements

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
for those in the know....hdr must do something crazy...because i was playing 640 * 480 and i couldnt even tell. What is it? howsit work?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
HDR (High Dynamic Range) is a type of revolutionary lighting that makes things look more real. I you look at the sun with HDR, just as you would in real life, there is a massive white intensity, and the sun is cast onto biuldings to make them look even nicer. And it gives you that glare that you sometimes get in the corner of your eye.

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
You can't see much of anything at that reslution. Try 1024 or so.

HDR gives realistic light patterns to CGI, like a white wall being brighter than a black one, and stone seeming shinier than brick. Doesn't seem like much in writing, but when you play it, it brings realism to a whole new level. Especialy with people's faces and clothes.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
does a us dollar really equal .56978 somethin' english pounds? yeah, and the x1900xtx is one of the best cards out there. i dont know what hdr does, but i know that it was one of the main selling points of the xbox 360...so i think it just boofs up the graphics to uber speed or somethin...i have no idea.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
One pound is about 1.75 dollars on average, british currency is one of the strongest in the world.

HDR just makes everything lool natural really, you see games that lool amazing and ALMOST real, HDR makes thems seem real, HL2 lost coast is real enough to put most of the CGI film companies out there to shame.