Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

comanighttrain

comanighttrain

• PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
wow, i only got a lil x850xt not Oc'd so i donno if itll take a high res

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
i asked a question kind of like this a while back...but how nice would a 256mb 9800 pro play oblivion? what settings could i play it on? (last time i asked if a x800 was better than the 9800)
and sorry about the british pounds thing...i did check google first, but I got the thing where it said that a british pound was equal to a .59867 or somethin us dollar...that didn't seem right to me...

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
It might be the other way around, as in how many pounds is a dollar worth which would be about right.

9800pro would play it okish, maybe medium settings all right, its enough to play it though.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
I may be crazy but isn't the RADEON X1900 and higher about 300 US dollars? I mean, if I don't have that kind of mula to dish out, would a RADEON X800XT be just as acceptable??

Oh, and you want me to take down some of my UB's? I just put up the ones that relate to my compy (without all the game ones I have as well). :whistling:

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Try around $450+

I have a friend who works at Best Buy; employee discount lands him a X1900xtx for $300. I wanted to cry....

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
just ask him to buy it for you. if he's a good friend he'll buy it for you, then you can just pay him back, or before he gets it. that's what i would do.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
In the US prices arent as good as they are here in Europe for ATI, there are better cards for your money than the x800xt its still a good card but there is a limit to how low they can sell the card and the budget versions of current generation cards usually come in cheaper and faster.

I personally dont want you to take them down, BUT Admin doesnt like em because a dialup user would take 3-4 minutes to read a thread with them in, a couple is about the limit so pick two and use them, and hope admin doesnt notice they are too big.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
You can get an ATi Sapphire Radeon X1900XTX PCI-E 512MB for around £400 over here.

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
wow the thread got larger since i last looked
i just wanted to say that dont look at oblivion as the best game to work. i mean its not about how good your card is, it is about what card you have. overclocking doesn change anything in oblivion and that explains it.

a guy ran the game almost everything maxed with a 6600gt and it just looked great fast and all. that card is enough to make it work in my idea.
it wont work on 5200s or 5700 or even atı 9200s which were the best cards on their time, despite what it says on minimum requirements. yes bethesda lied to you and it may sour your mood if you know what kind company bethesda has been over all these years

also if you force the game to run 1.0 shaders it crashes when you press tab (character screen). there is an exe that prevents it. search the offical tech forums for that exe i really cant find it bcs of the fanboys that keep flaming nvidia owners and making tech faq threads go down 55 pages. if its that vital to you i can send it

what i will try next is to try to run the xbox version on my pc. if it works i will go to a net cafe and make a thread about it on the offical forums with gloves on my hands :whistling:

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I can run it on a 5200 perfect

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Just tweaked the .ini files and it looks quite pretty (taking into account that it does have some flaws, purple water, but thats about as far as it goes)

And I'm sure that can be fixed somehow.

Edited by Casheti, 19 April 2006 - 03:12 PM.

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
no you cant run it perfect. perceft would mean "best performance" in here and 5200 can only run the game with file tweaked crappy graphics that are far away how oblivion looks.

also you will have major lag on most of the outside and weather changes

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
So what, you said that it didn't work on a 5200. Just telling you... It does!

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
yea thats been discussed numberless times in offical forums and that smart lawyer attitude was mostly used by the unsmart fanboys :whistling:

in the name of customer rights, i dont need internet connection to learn about how to run the game and i dont need technical knoelage to tweak the ini file that doesnt even present in the games original path. if i have the reqs, i should be able to install and run the game and just start playing

man i talk too much you get the parts i didnt say

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Do you reckon I would make a good lawyer?