Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts
by the looks of things halo2 will be mostly the same on pc as it was on x-box but since it is dx10 should we be expecting better graphics?

Advertisements

JourneyMan

JourneyMan

• PipPip
  • 86 posts
Yup.

On yet another unrelated note, it looks like game console emulators will recieve an enormous boost from DX10. Traditionally, a console can achieve 'more' on 'older' hardware due to the simplicity of resource management, tailored hardware and software layout, near 0 compadability issues, and ultra high bandwidth between components. DX10 bring simplified resource management, and a more tailored hardware and software enviroment to PCs, allowing them to possibly double their potential output. This would allow console emulators
to run in an enviroment much closer to that of the system they are trying to emulate.

Sad news is that it will be a while before all this sinks in...

Getting back to Oblivion, it seems that the shadow effects take alot to process. Disabling personal shadows, shadows on grass (this one especialy), and canopy shadows should increase framerates by a good amount. Also, setting the shadow filltering to low will make them seem a bit sharper, but will do even more for performance.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Easiest way to boost your outdoor fps is tweaking the grass effects in the ini file, if you disable animation and reduce the length you can get away with shadows or a longer draw distance. Also a few other good tweaks about that tweak it more.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Which portion of the .ini tweaks the grass? I think the grass animation is way to unrealistic. Every blade moves in the same direction at the same time and swings in the same way. It's not very good.

gto23

gto23

• Pip
  • 6 posts
seems interesting, anyway i finally decided on XFX Geforce GeForce 7900 GT EXTREME (520MHz) 256MB, i cant go for more im broke, hope it will run with AA and whatever at 1280x1024 with enough frames to play it smoothly

btw im kind of n00b ;_;, please tell me an enough fps ratio for oblivion and fear

oh i forgot this my system:
MSI K8N Diamond Plus ATX AMD Motherboard
AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 2000MHz HT 1MB L2 Cache Socket 939, 2.2ghz no OC
CORSAIR XMS 2GB (2 x 1GB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM Unbuffered DDR 400 (PC 3200) Dual Channel Kit System Memory

Edited by gto23, 27 April 2006 - 03:58 PM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You will get good fps on that machine fear will defo run without a hitch on it. You cant judge fps as they are up to you tweak the settings to how you want it.

Dr.Shimo

Dr.Shimo

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

More ram will boost performance for pretty much everything it would reduce load times. Well i can run oblivion fairly well on mostly high settings, the HDR wasnt as well dnoe as it should have been so i cant run HDR only bloom, dont have any AA on usually but can manage 2x sometimes, and thats at 1280x1024 on my x800 and a 7600GT is faster so it will be mostly high settings, the biggest killer is HDR and AA, if you run without those then it will manage high settings on everything else allright, when you turn on AA or HDR you will have to lower settings but those arent really as neccesary.

Do you think i should just buy another 512mb of RAM?
The reccomended specs(http://www.elderscro...blivion_faq.htm) say 1GB though?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Well if youve got more than a gig alllready 2gig would be nice but if youre still haviong crappy fps put your money towards a better gfx card but 512 of memeory would help it run better faster load times and draw distances etc.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
how bad will oblivion run with a radeon 9550 256mb graphics card? I also have 1279 of ram.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

how bad will oblivion run with a radeon 9550 256mb graphics card? I also have 1279 of ram.

it will run very choppy... On the absolute lowest it would be okay...

Edited by jrm20, 28 April 2006 - 07:03 PM.

Advertisements

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
yay! I got oblivion, and it doesn't run choppy at all!!! I have the view distance all the way up (i can see distant trees and largge bushes on far-away mountains), grass distance is on high, and all the other view stuff is set to medium high, and anti-alising is at 2X (i can run it at 6X, but it gets choppy in a oblivion plane). All the other graphics options are set to high, except indoor shadows, which are on low. It is hardly any different all all to my friends game, (he has everything set to high) the only difference is that my game is a little pixely. I think that all the hype about running oblivion being pathetic on low-end graphics cards is all a myth.
ps-i know this looks like i'm lying, but i'm not!!! i'd only be dissapointing my self if i was!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah but what res is it that you are using. It really isnt a myth the game is a beast i run it at the settings you describe only shadows are higher and my card is alot faster than yours it aint smooth.

Edited by warriorscot, 29 April 2006 - 05:43 PM.

dllp117

dllp117

• PipPipPip
  • 137 posts
im hecking all that right now...i'll be able to give better details in a bit...

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey Scot, there is something wrong with your sig. One of the pictures is missing.

(BTW, How do I find out what wattage my power supply is? It doesn't say when I bought it or on any of the documentation.)

Edited by Casheti, 30 April 2006 - 02:14 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Everything is in my sig thats meant to be in my sig that i can see, its written on your supply.