Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts

Hmm.. well it didn't say much in there.. "Max output: 200W"
If that's what we're looking for, my power supply SUCKS.
I saw a few 350W-400W on newegg ranging from 14$-22$. I don't know how reliable a 14$ power supply is.. so.. any suggestions?

lol over 350-400 maybe a 420 is all you need. It depends what kind of pc you have is it custom or a certain manufactured pc. If its dell you have to get a special power supply.

You get what you pay for on a powersupply but dont get one real cheap. I know some for low prices that are good though.

Advertisements

Who Took My Cups

Who Took My Cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
I've got a Dell Dimension 2400, though I've added a DVD/CD RW drive, + 1 GB RAM, and that Geforce FX 5200. It's almost not a Dimension 2400 anymore, haha.

jrm20

jrm20

System building expert

• Retired Staff
  • 2,394 posts
The thing is dell is different about their pc's and you have to have a special power supply for it to work.

You have to get this powersupply or either forget about getting a fast video card all together and get a crappy video card with your current powersupply.

http://www.pcpowerco...lector/dell.htm

look on that list and look for your dell's series, would be 2400 as you told me..

Here is the powersupply that you need..

http://www.pcpowerco....php?show=S41D2

You have no choice, either buy it so you can get a sweet video card or you will have to get a slow videocard.

Who Took My Cups

Who Took My Cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
My goodness...
Well, I'm an Elder Scrolls servant but I'm not willing to pay $350 for a high quality experience.. I might just upgrade to a more mediocre experience. I'm pretty happy as long as I can play the game and it doesn't lag/crash. Eye candy is spiffy and all, but I might have to do without it if it's that out of my reach.

Oh and BTW. Dell sucks :tazz:. Next comp I get I'll either build or get from Alienware.

Edited by Who Took My Cups, 20 March 2006 - 02:33 PM.

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
i have geforce 5200
512 mb ram p4 etc
what should i do? sacrifice myself? steal a better card?
duh..
ignore the last 2. what sohuld i do? will they make a patch that will make this game support most of the cards that were on the top dog list 1 year ago? my game runs like.. well it doesnt really run. it is unplayably slow. is there a way to run the game with geforce 5200?

Who Took My Cups

Who Took My Cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Well I'll tell you this.. If you can't support an AGP or PCI-e graphics card then forget about it. You'll need to buy a new motherboard, power supply, graphics card.. you might as well buy a new computer. It's not worth it. Take your game back and save up for a 360. Much cheaper and will last you a lot longer. (Given you follow the user manual.)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
a pc lasts longer than a console its one of the big reasons you get one instead. And its not cheaper as the games cost as much as double the price of PC games.

If lowering the settings doesnt work your pretty out of luck, unless an fx5500 os availbale to you but its not much more powerful. Its actually not to demanding at least not as much as i thought it would be, fable was more demanding and better looking than elder scrolls so its not as bad as everyone was whinging about.

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I'm currently using an old Ti4200 128MB card...works great for all of my games, but doesn't have the required version of pixel shader. I was wondering, is this card a good quick/cheap fix so I can run oblivion/BF2?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814130278

I'm assuming it has pixel shader 2.0 (which is needed)

Edited by Four shots of espresso, 26 March 2006 - 12:48 AM.

BlackPandemic

BlackPandemic

• PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
This may have been said, but I'm tired and may have skipped it. But in the world premier review of Oblivion in the newest PC Gamer, they explain that unlike the previous Morrowinds', Oblivion is a graphics card intensive game, not a CPU intensive like it's older siblings.

Just thought I'd throw that out there, that if you're going to upgrade something, make it your video card.

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
I've decided on http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102410

It's pretty powerful, got excellent reviews, does what I will require of a new video card, and is dirt cheap to boot. Keep in mind I currently have a Ti4200 whose cooling fan hums and vibrates incessantly >.<

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
erm its not very powerful, it got good reviews a few years ago when it came out(read the date on the reviews) there are newer more powerful cards that have been released to plug the gap for them. Try an x700 thats probably your best bet or one of the x800GT they have a cheap version that might be in your budget.

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
hi guys
thank you fo replies
i did some more digging into the oblivion tech support forum. and it seems like fx 5200 is not weak for the game. the game wants shaders 2.0 and my card doesnt have them. but the game also works under 1.1 or 1.4 shaders. which is quiet intresting. if you want more info about it go to oblivion offical forums and go to tech support.
and i gave up the idea of buying another card following your advice. i wont just spend another 150 just becouse bethesda rejects to fix a 120kb game file.

and there seems to be a fix almost for every card other than fx 5200 or 5700 or other fxs. just take a look into the forums if you dont want to replace your card.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
If you want to play new games though in general you would need a new card anyway, although you are better waiting for the new DX10 and get something decent that way it will last a little longer.

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Yeah, the game does play even with a geforce 4 chipset, just very slowly and with the help of a little fix from the oblivion forums. Also...everything's a weird shade of green instead of all white, not to mention crashes every 2 minutes or so.

Reason I chose that card over the X700/X800 was price. I wanted a cheapo 256 meg card with a decent core clock that could play games in my immediate future, like Oblivion, BF2, and the like. Now would probably be a good time to mention my mobo lacks PCIx support... XD

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814131307
That seemed to be a good candidate

I'll most likely be building a computer next year (after much research) after Vista and Intel's new core become available, not to mention the DX10 cards. This thing will only have to last me until then, and if it doesn't, that means less game time more college time.

Thanks for the help, I'll post my review of the card after I get it in the mail :whistling:

Edited by Four shots of espresso, 27 March 2006 - 01:20 PM.

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Since you all are talking about oblivion.. and I belong to the oblivion official boards. I can't seem to get a real straight answer, People seem to be having problems left and right with all kinds of video cards. Mostly the FX series but some high powered graphics cards seem to be causing problems too. I need to upgrade. I run a PCI-Express with an AMD Sempron 3500+. I have to upgrade the power supply. (thanks to you guys telling me that). I guess I'm just lost. I have spend week after week wondering what kind of card to get. I would prefer to stick to ATI since that' installed in my computer already. I have heard Nvidia cards are crashing with a driver problem and HDR. I don't want to fry my MOBO with anything that will harm it, but ATI cards are really expensive? Any help is appreciated. and thank you guys so much. you have no idea how many people NEED you.