Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

bsml

bsml

• Pip
  • 7 posts
well for oblivion i found out that the cheapest card that can run it smoothly is gainward ati x700. it supports 2.0 shaders etc
and next comes the nvidia geforce 6600gt. but it is 100$ more expensive. it supports 3.0 shaders and good core clock.

and of course nvidia geforce 7900gtx. as i understand this is the best card on the market right now i dont know about cards much really. but i heard this is the best one that can run it. and this is the most expensve one. worth my whole box.

if i didnt decide to wait for bethesda to make patch i would run out and buy x700 right now. it is seemingly equavalent if not better to my fx 5200 and almost in the price of a game in here (turkey)

Advertisements

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
thanks.. Just waiting for the delivery guy to bring me my copy and I guess i'll go from there..

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Im planning on running at max everything. 8).
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Its not to bad really, im running it pretty much on max but without HDR(it wont let me turn it on with AA which is a total rip as ATI cards can handle AA and HDR at the same time unlike the nvidias). Its not the most demanding, its probably less demanding than Fable was its a bit bigger though.

x700 is probably the best cheap option its equal or better than a 6600GT and is a good stop gap card until you can get something better or if its all you can afford, shader model 3 has no advantage at all over shader model 2 and core speeds are erlevant up to a point more important is the core type and memory type. Also best card you can get is still the X1900XTX from what ive seen unless theres been huge driver revisions for the 7900s to get them faster.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

My goodness...
Well, I'm an Elder Scrolls servant but I'm not willing to pay $350 for a high quality experience.. I might just upgrade to a more mediocre experience. I'm pretty happy as long as I can play the game and it doesn't lag/crash. Eye candy is spiffy and all, but I might have to do without it if it's that out of my reach.

Oh and BTW. Dell sucks :blink:. Next comp I get I'll either build or get from Alienware.

You shouldnt need to spend that much money on a card. I got BOTH of my cards for under $200 (after rebate). Depending on your rig if its agp or pcie, you should be able to get a NICE v-card for under $200. Check newegg frequently as they have specials a lot of the time (except when I order,lol).
And I concur DELLS SUCK! :whistling:
-Pete.

Who Took My Cups

Who Took My Cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hehe, guys.. Gamespot is godly. I traded in all my old systems that I didn't really play anymore (Gamecube, Xbox, PS1, DVDs, Games, Controllers) It got me so much store credit that I got a HUGE price reduction off of an Xbox 360 core set. So my suggestion is.. if you absoultely cannot run this game on your computer, or if it would break the bank to upgrade, then think to yourself: "Do I play my gamecube anymore?" If not, trade it in to gamespot! Along with all your gamecube games! What good is it doing if you're not using it? You won't get full price for it, you get $50 for trading in an Xbox.. just for a point of refference. Sports games hardly get you anything, so don't count on them. But it's the most cost effective way to get your game on, and you'll be glad to have cleaned out your closet :whistling:

Cpt.Giggles

Cpt.Giggles

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Been using this set of forum posts crazily for the past few days, made me join the forum in fact. I have a dell dimension something or other with Nvidia 5200 crap series, I dont really know, i just know its within the minimum and it will run Oblivion up to the character selection, where it decides to take 12x as long to do everything, including click an option. Unlike some of the people before me I have a slightly bigger budget for my new V-card. I was looking at this one, since its so high on the previous list and such a low price

http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102609

I was wondering what i should be looking at when i look at a video cards specs. What makes it a good gaming V-card, i used to think it was memory size, then i thought bandwidth, but when a friend was able to play oblivion with 128mb with low bandwidth v-card, my insights got thrown out the window....

Thanks for the help :whistling:

Who Took My Cups

Who Took My Cups

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Nice card, :whistling: Just make sure you've got an AGP slot to stick it in. Dells can be tricky that way. But that card should be a drastic change from the 5200. Enjoy the game, man. It can really suck you in.

dhunter383

dhunter383

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Well, after reading the post with the broader list of video cards, (ranking #1 in Google for "oblivion integrated graphics" - well done, btw! :blink: ) which did include the one on my laptop, (and Intel GMA 900, (915GM/GMS, 910GML) bought and installed Oblivion. Afraid your source is glitched - it crashes straight to the desktop every time, Serious bummer, but looks like this goes into the "recoup what we can" pile on eBay.

So, if you've come upon this via a similar method, (i.e. Google) and have a fairly standard Intel integrated graphics card, no, it will _not_ run Oblivion, (even if you've been waiting as long and eagerly as I have for it!). For those of us who will only have work laptops, etc. from now on, afraid the Elder Scrolls series ends here... :whistling:

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Most new games wont run on an intel integrated its not to much of a surprise, a semi decent pc is relativley cheap to build these days, less than what alot of people spend on a television and personally i think you get more pleasure from a PC than you do from a box of mind numbing electromagnetic goodness.

Advertisements

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

personally i think you get more pleasure from a PC than you do from a box of mind numbing electromagnetic goodness.

b-b-b-b-but....the colbert report! :whistling:

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hello All :whistling:

I am wondering if i can run oblivion.

I have an AMD 2200+ 1.8 ghz overclocked to 2.2
1.25 GB of Ram
The Asus Radeon 7000 128mb card
DVD 8x drive

If not tell me wjhati should upgrade...

Thanks

James

Edited by i rock socks, 30 March 2006 - 08:55 AM.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Well, after reading the post with the broader list of video cards, (ranking #1 in Google for "oblivion integrated graphics" - well done, btw! :help: ) which did include the one on my laptop, (and Intel GMA 900, (915GM/GMS, 910GML) bought and installed Oblivion. Afraid your source is glitched - it crashes straight to the desktop every time, Serious bummer, but looks like this goes into the "recoup what we can" pile on eBay.

So, if you've come upon this via a similar method, (i.e. Google) and have a fairly standard Intel integrated graphics card, no, it will _not_ run Oblivion, (even if you've been waiting as long and eagerly as I have for it!). For those of us who will only have work laptops, etc. from now on, afraid the Elder Scrolls series ends here... :blink:

Well...get the latest drivers for your video card .. :whistling:

dhunter383

dhunter383

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Done. No dice, (at least as high as you can, given that you have to use the OEM's most recent driver - in this case Dell - which _is_ 4 mths behind the most recent one on the Intel site, but the Intel one specifically terminates the install routine if you try that one, telling you you have to use the OEM's version).

Saw on the Intel site that since these cards pass T&L back to the main CPU, if the company chooses to do a HW T&L check, it'll fail, and the game won't run. Sent in a ping to Bethsoft to formally ask them to add an entry into their FAQ that the Intel GMA 900's won't work to save the next aging Elder Scrolls junkie, (i.e. they already have a bunch "Intel 82XXX won't run," entries, etc.).

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Done. No dice, (at least as high as you can, given that you have to use the OEM's most recent driver - in this case Dell - which _is_ 4 mths behind the most recent one on the Intel site, but the Intel one specifically terminates the install routine if you try that one, telling you you have to use the OEM's version).

Saw on the Intel site that since these cards pass T&L back to the main CPU, if the company chooses to do a HW T&L check, it'll fail, and the game won't run. Sent in a ping to Bethsoft to formally ask them to add an entry into their FAQ that the Intel GMA 900's won't work to save the next aging Elder Scrolls junkie, (i.e. they already have a bunch "Intel 82XXX won't run," entries, etc.).

Well....download the omega drivers. Google search for them. They make my Nvidia 64Meg Card thats about 4 years old, run as if it where a high end card. I can play CS:S on highest settings...

Regards

James