Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Hello All :whistling:

I am wondering if i can run oblivion.

I have an AMD 2200+ 1.8 ghz overclocked to 2.2
1.25 GB of Ram
The Asus Radeon 7000 128mb card
DVD 8x drive
If not tell me wjhati should upgrade...

Thanks
James

Can someonehelp?

Advertisements

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Dont think you will be able to play it not with a 7000. Also guy with 64meg card is not actually playing at high settings the game automatically lowers settings if they are far to high and it will be using the DX7 mode.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Dont think you will be able to play it not with a 7000. Also guy with 64meg card is not actually playing at high settings the game automatically lowers settings if they are far to high and it will be using the DX7 mode.

Well, i am looking at a POWERCOLOR 9600 PRO
here is the link

[url=http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814164066[/url]

Lemme know

Edited by i rock socks, 31 March 2006 - 07:23 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You know you could just read the list of approved cards, i would imagine a 9550 would play it but not very well of course.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

You know you could just read the list of approved cards, i would imagine a 9550 would play it but not very well of course.

I am looking at a 9600 not a 9550?

I am just looking for a card that will run it sufficiently with little lag, that is under a hundred dollars...reccomendations?

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I would maybe try an x700 then, not sure on US pricing though so you would have to check but its under a hundred here so they usually arent to different, its the best you can get under a hundred here its not bad card decent memory and performance AGP and better than any of the older ati cards.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

I would maybe try an x700 then, not sure on US pricing though so you would have to check but its under a hundred here so they usually arent to different, its the best you can get under a hundred here its not bad card decent memory and performance AGP and better than any of the older ati cards.

Okay, but i dont understand what the "x"700 means, i dont understand what that "x" is supposed to represent. Please explain.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Its just a model number. Such as Nvidia geforce. For $100 you can get a mediocre video card, if you pony up another 50 bux or so youll be able to get a MUCh better card, to where youll be able to run it smoother and at a higher resolution.
-Pete.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Its just a model number. Such as Nvidia geforce. For $100 you can get a mediocre video card, if you pony up another 50 bux or so youll be able to get a MUCh better card, to where youll be able to run it smoother and at a higher resolution.
-Pete.

I work at McDonalds...what more can i say?

The Nvidia Geforce 6200 series card is not too pricey

http://froogle.googl...oring=mrd&hl=en

Thats on the list so it SHOULD work...right?

Edited by i rock socks, 31 March 2006 - 09:02 AM.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
McDonalds around here doesnt pay half bad - $10 per hour. If I were you I'd just wait another week and get a better video card. Itll be worth the wait in the long run, not to mention all your games will look and play A LOT better.
-Pete.

Advertisements

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

McDonalds around here doesnt pay half bad - $10 per hour. If I were you I'd just wait another week and get a better video card. Itll be worth the wait in the long run, not to mention all your games will look and play A LOT better.
-Pete.

WHERE DO YOU LIVE?!?!

I only get 6.00 an hour!

I get paid every 2 weeks :/

Anyway, i want a 6200 series NVIDIA card. It is on the list, so it SHOULD work, am i correct in assuming so?

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Live in michigan. Anyway, the 6200 is gettin a lil old now. The 6200over clocked that is in my old rig works ok I guess. I wouldnt get anything less than that. When playing HalfLife2 the 6200 tends to lag a little bit especially if you move fast. And I would imagine that oblivion is going to be just as graphically intense as Halflife2. Tellin ya man, just wait it out for another couple of weeks till your next payday and get a better one, you wont regret it.
Let me break it down to you this way, the 6200oc in my old rig got a 3dmark05 score of 800 which is REALLY bad. 1 of my 6800's in my new rig got a score 3700. Basically, 3dmark05 is a benchmark of videocards, anything above 3500 will play almost all games at their fullest settings.
Give me a sec and ill find you a nice card for not a lot of money.
-Pete.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
x700 is a model number, like 9600 was, its a good medium level card better than a 6200(slightly better than a 6600GT), p-zero is right though about waiting the 6800GSs are very cheap and they have enough power to play it at mostly high settings.

i rock socks

i rock socks

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Live in michigan. Anyway, the 6200 is gettin a lil old now. The 6200over clocked that is in my old rig works ok I guess. I wouldnt get anything less than that. When playing HalfLife2 the 6200 tends to lag a little bit especially if you move fast. And I would imagine that oblivion is going to be just as graphically intense as Halflife2. Tellin ya man, just wait it out for another couple of weeks till your next payday and get a better one, you wont regret it.
Let me break it down to you this way, the 6200oc in my old rig got a 3dmark05 score of 800 which is REALLY bad. 1 of my 6800's in my new rig got a score 3700. Basically, 3dmark05 is a benchmark of videocards, anything above 3500 will play almost all games at their fullest settings.
Give me a sec and ill find you a nice card for not a lot of money.
-Pete.

Haha nice pay...i only rake in a $150 dollar check though :/ Oh well, anyway, ill be wating for that card.

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814102609
Thats the best card for the money. They have ok ones for slightly cheaper (10-15 less). But, this one isdefinitly worth the extra cash.
-pete.