Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814150130 theres that XT slower but ok on a budget http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814125010 a GS model for 150 after a rebate(what the deal with rebates is i dont know). that or the x800 is good.

Advertisements

p-zero

p-zero

• PipPipPip
  • 276 posts
Yeah I recommended the x800 just because its only 10-15 more and its WAY better.
-Pete.

PS: Hey Scotty those cards are PCIe, I think he needs an AGP.

Edited by p-zero, 31 March 2006 - 09:55 AM.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
They come in AGP though wasnt raking through newegg to get AGP version, pricing is about the same usually if not cheaper for AGP for the GS.

Edited by warriorscot, 31 March 2006 - 10:03 AM.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Hi guys just thought id get your opinion on if (im pretty confident i can) play Oblivion and how well it will run (Low/mid/high settings etc)

System Spec:

AMD Athlon 3000+ 64
2.00 ghz
1gb RAM
200gb HDD
ATI radeon 9800Pro - (Oldish but still a great card in my opinion)

I bought the PC from a company called Mesh. :whistling:

I've had this system for nearly 2 years and i have only recently become aware taht its getting slightly "dated"

the 1st thing i will upgrade is my Video Card, i'd look to stay with ATI

Cheers guys,

Marc White

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Yeah, itll play it maybe medium settings, your system will be AGP so upgrading to a DX10 card in the summer would be difficult as far as i know they arent going to make AGP Dx10 cards so you might need at least a mobo change ot get a good upgrade.

whitey_VTS

whitey_VTS

• PipPip
  • 88 posts
Mobo change Mobo meaning? motherboard?

How much am i looking at to convert to a good PCI or whatever the other type is..

Edited by whitey_VTS, 31 March 2006 - 06:43 PM.

Four shots of espresso

Four shots of espresso

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Mobo change Mobo meaning? motherboard?

How much am i looking at to convert to a good PCI or whatever the other type is..

Yep. Mobo=motherboard

My suggestion: wait until next year to build a PC. New Intel chip (Conroe or some such), dx10 cards, SLi getting cheaper, etc. If you can find a band-aid fix that will last you until then for a hundred bucks or so, do it. I got a new vid card (decided on the 256mb Radeon x700 agp). Hopefully it'll extend this computer's effectiveness long enough, and if it doesn't, it will still be a large improvement.

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
I have to tell you guys though, though I lvve you all to death. that I am really running oblivion on an ATI Radeon Xpress 200. NO i can't run it on MAX. I have all my sliders turned down. But until I get my new power supply and card. It's doing just fine. It kinda looks like morrowind on the X-box. (never had it on PC, just X-box). But I can hear things and do what I have to do and i didn't mess with my ini. file either. Just a heads up for those that are sorrowing.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Lol. a 200 thatll be fun, as long as it plays its a scarily addictive game ive allready completed fighters and assasin guild and working on thieves, next job mages guild(even though not a mage charachter).

If you wait till next year to build AMD will have the factory up and running and making there new chips, the new intel chips gaming prowess on the new titles is still to be assessed and SLI may go out the window with the power of these new DX10 cards, SLI only existed for ultra high res users and fashion victims so dual card solutions may become less prevalent.

Dude122

Dude122

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Guys im kinda low on cash and im looking for a video card that will run oblivion on at least a moderate level, any suggestions?

Will this one work?
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16814139158

or this one
http://www.newegg.co...82E16814131307R

Also its say you need 2.00 CPU Speed to run it, my outdated pc only has 1.8, will it by any chance run it or do i need an upgrade there too?

Edited by Dude122, 01 April 2006 - 05:47 PM.

Advertisements

wintermoon

wintermoon

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
if you check out the Forum boards on the elder scrolls site. The FX users are having the worst time of it all. But i'm not a puter expert..

Way to go Scottie. I'm still only a level 3 and off picking flowers and getting attacked by Minatours. I haven't done any quests yet.. just some side ones. But i move very slowly through the worlds.
I get pretty good framerate outside and stuff, but on the inside and in combat I slow down alot.

And another dumb question. After I install my power and new card. .Do i have to re-install oblivion? Or will it automatically default to the higher settings? yes i'm a NOOB. LOL

thanks! have a good one.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Should just need the vid settings put up to something better, its the outside that slows me down most its all the grass. I think im modt of the way through thieves guild, but theres 250 hours of play on it so itll keep you busy for months.

DFW

DFW

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Mmmmm. I'm on a Medion made PC from....like....2k, I think. I slapped a gig and a half worth of ram into it as year ago, moving up from 256MB.

The Processor is a Celeron 2.4GHz, slightly overclocked, and the card that I had in the computer until less than a week ago was a Radeon 9200 128MB card, that despite going on ancient age, has run everything I've asked of it very smoothly. I even managed to coax playable frames out of Doom3 on Medium-High settings (Settings in between Medium and High), and still have it be an enjoyable experience. However, due to Oblivion not supporting my beloved old 9200, I moved up 3 days ago. Maybe not to something giantly gaming worthy, but I have no shame in saying that every game I own, I've thrown at this new card for the pleasant surprise of no slowdown whatsoever. It was also, IMO, an amazingly cheap deal for the card.

The card (Which I've kept forgetting to link you to up til now), http://www.pricegrab...ch=Radeon x1300 , was even cheaper than that for me. I picked it up, brand new, sealed in box, for $130 at my local Fry's Electronics store. For the money, I couldnt see any downside to this deal whatsoever. Thoughts?

Oh.....I run Oblivion on high, with steady 50 FPS. =D!

Summary of my computer:

Intel Celeron 2.4 GHz, overclocked to roughly 2.5
1.5 Gigs of DDR Ram (Soon to be 2.5)
Radeon x1300 512MB AGP 8X card
Twin DVD-RW drives, with LightScribe
SoundBlaster Audigy 2.0
And other thigns not worth mentioning.

I still dont know if I should call my comp a high end gaming rig or not. My friends say it is, but I dont think by todays standards it is.

c0de

c0de

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hey Guys,

I am not really sure which card to get, and which one is the best for the money I wanna spend. So could you help out, I want to be able to play Oblivion at Medium and hopefully a bit more than Medium. I have around 300-350 AUD To spend so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks a lot

Edited by c0de, 04 April 2006 - 10:04 PM.

Garfieldfanatic

Garfieldfanatic

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Mid-Range (these cards were/could've been considered top-end a few years ago, and are fairly powerful, and should be enough to fully enjoy Oblivion)
+ GeForce FX 5900XT
+ Radeon X1300 & All-in-Wonder 2006
+ GeForce FX 5800
+ S3 Chrome 25
+ Radeon 9700
+ GeForce FX 5900
+ GeForce PCX 5900
+ Radeon 9800
+ S3 Chrome 27
+ GeForce 6600
+ Radeon X1300pro
+ Radeon 9700pro
+ GeForce FX 5800ultra
+ Volari V8 Duo Ultra
+ GeForce FX 5900ultra
+ Radeon 9800pro
+ Radeon X700
+ GeForce FX 5950ultra
+ Radeon X700pro
+ GeForce 6800LE
+ GeForce 6800XT
+ GeForce 6800 (PCI-express version)
+ GeForce 6600GT
+ Radeon X800SE
+ Radeon 9800XT
+ Radeon X800GT & Radeon X800RX

High-End (some of these cards may be "outdated," but just about any given one is OVERKILL for almost any game out there, and will definitely be able to play Oblivion with all the settings enabled)
+ Radeon X1600pro
+ Radeon X800 & Radeon X800GTO 128MB
+ GeForce 6800 (AGP version)
+ Radeon X800GTO & Radeon X800GTO˛ (256MB version for either)
+ GeForce 7600GT (preliminary ranking; limited information)
+ Radeon X1600XT
+ GeForce 6800GS (AGP version)
+ Radeon X800pro
+ GeForce 6800GS (PCI-express version)
+ Radeon X850pro
+ GeForce 6800GT
+ Radeon X800XL & Radeon X800GTO 16
+ GeForce 7800GS (stock clock; 375MHz core)
+ GeForce 6800ultra
+ Radeon X800XT
+ Radeon X850XT
+ GeForce 7800GS (overclocked version; 400-430MHz core)
+ Radeon X800XT Platinum Edition
+ Radeon X850XT Platinum Edition

are any of those cards just regular PCI? i don't have AGP or PCI Express.

actually, as it turns out, im just plain confused. i have a Radeon 9800 PRO 128MB, bought it last summer. It's been overheating lately to the point where if i want to be on longer than 5-10 minutes(depending), i have to lower the amount of work it does to the point i can't even run most screen savers. yeah, it's that bad. anyway, i thought i had PCI, but it turns out the Radeon is an AGP. so i think i have AGP now. but according to the booklet thingy that came with my Nvidia 6800 GS, which is PCI extreme and doesn't fit, i don't. white slots are PCI and brown are AGP. all i have is white, except for this one funny looking green one where i put the graphics card. so now, im just plain confused. can anyone help me sort this out? i just want my computer back, this really can't be this hard.

Edited by Garfieldfanatic, 05 April 2006 - 10:34 PM.