Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Video card to run Oblivion when it comes out...

• Please log in to reply

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hey guys, I am new to the forums. This topic has been pretty helpful, but I still need to ask some questions.

My computer specs:

AMD 3500+
1gig ram (only 896 mb useable ram)
250 gig hard drive
ATI xpress 200 ...... this is the card I need to upgrade

17 inch LCD monitor

I have a bunch of games that run fairly slow (BF2, CSS, DODS) and have been waiting for a reason to upgrade my video card. Since Oblivion came out, I wanted to upgrade. My computer has one PCI -E open slot, so I have been looking at some cards. The three cards that come to mind are 6800 GS, 7600 GT, X800XL. I have been leaning more towards either the 7600 or 6800, since they are cheaper. Also, would I need to purchase more ram since I dont techincaley have a gig?

If I did upgrade my video card to like a 6800 gs would Oblivion be able to run on high resolution? Its either I upgrade my computer or just save up for an XBOX 360, which ever will give me the best results.

Thanks.

Advertisements

Sunday Morning

Sunday Morning

• Pip
  • 2 posts
bump ^

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Ive got a PCI GeForce FX 5200, 512 RAM, P4 2.8GHz etc. which meets Oblivions minimum specs, but i run it in the lowest res possible and put everything on it's minimum setting, but still the game lags so much i can't play it. What's the point of listing my card and specs on the back of the game case if they don't ACTUALLY work.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You would get performance similar of not better than an xbox with a 6800GS on that system. Probably a little better, if you can afford it and are a real oblivion fan get an X1800XT as you will be able to run AA and HDR at the same time.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey warriorscot, what about me?

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey, im thinking of getting a HP media centre computer, 2.8GHz DUAL CORE BABY!!!, 1GB RAM, and an X1300 Pro, an awesome card for value. I could rum BF2 full spec with that baby, as i have allready tested an ordinary X1300 woth BF2 online and it was perfect. Kiss kiss X1300 pro, see you soon baby.

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
I dont think so an x1300 doesnt have the chops to run BF2 at full settings are you sure youre not thinking of a x1800. If its an intel 2.8Ghz unless its a Duo its rubbish and not something to be reccomended on a gaming system. There isnt many builders that make good value gaming machines as they use low end intel CPUs which is not what you would use if you had the choice you would use an AMD with the better cheaper chips and motherboards. If you want a cheap gaming/media pc get a custom or build it yourself.

I didnt reply to you as you posted after i started reading the thread it just took me longer to type my reply than yours did hence the reason it shows up as earlier than mine.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Yes im sure. It was an ordinary X1300 sappphire 512MB with heatsink. It ran BF2 FULL SPEC!!! The comp i tested it in had 1.25GB ram and a 1.8GHz AMD Sempron (lol) but it ran full whack eveything without shedding a tear. Some people said it couldn't be done with an X1300 but it can be done i tell you. (It was PCI-EXPRESS by the way!)

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
You can set it at those settings but the way BF2 was designed it will turn it straight back down again of its own accord, because it is a physical immposibilty alot of games do it, alot will kick themselves into DX7 mode if it runs at too low an FPS for to long but if you have the settings to high it wont even start the game, ive seen systems alot faster than that one with better cards including my own system and they cant run BF2 at high settings even with hefty overclocks.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Are you basically saying that YOUR pc does not start BF2 when you put everything on high? Regardless or not of if mine kicks into DX7, it still runs BF2 when i try and put everything on high. It is a weak [bleep] graphics card, i know, but it has gone over my expectations at least. Waht PCI-Express graphics card do you suggest that will ACTUALLY run BF2 on high for around the same price (i bought mine for £90 ON SALE at PC WORLD) P.S (I KNOW THAT I WAS RIPPED OFF)!!!

Advertisements

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Oh and by the way, I have done the IMPOSSIBLE!!!!!! AH AHA AHAHA AHA AHAHAHAHAH AHA HAHA! I have made oblivion run 1024x768 with medium textures on OBLIVION with an FX 5200 PCI!!! They said it couldn't be done. Sure i lag some places but SO WHAT!!! If anybody wants to play OBLIVION on an FX 5200, give me your email address and i will senf=d you my .ini file. YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!! IM SOOOOO CRAZY!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Ok ... Bf2 the cheapest that will play it on high would be a 6800GS os x800 and even that its a just and no more thing really for high settings and its not MAX settings just high so you probably wouldnt run AA at all.

There alot of tweaks for the oblivion .ini file to strip the really hard stuff out of the graphics settings, ive done some minor stuff to get the outdoors stuff working better, even on the top of the line cards the outdoor scenes are crippling.

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
I see. Although i never will (bcause i am only 14), would you call me a king and bow down to your master of gaming if i had an nVidia GeForce 7900 GTX PCI-EXPRESS 512MB graphics card? Hmmmm?

LONG LIVE X1300 PCI-E 512MB

woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Casheti

Casheti

Banned

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 169 posts
Hey there warriorscot, i want to oc my GeForce 5200. I want to use "coolbits", which is a hidden nVidia program. It tells me to enter "regedit" in the start/run thingymajiggy, but it just comes up as a blank black window. Any suggestions, I am DESPERATE to Overclock this piece of junk. Please, scot, if you can help me, i will love you for ever!!! (I'm not ACTUALLY gay)!!!

warriorscot

warriorscot

Member 5k

• Retired Staff
  • 8,889 posts
Just use ntune it comes with your software package, i actually own an Fx5200 for an old system and it overclocks reasonably, it still really sucks, barely scrapes through CSS with an fps barely over 20 but it plays UT2004 reaonably and it can manage CoD so its ok.

You might get 50Mhz if youre lucky, you can use rivatuner if you like as well, basically go up one or two hertz then benchmark save clock speed, up benchmark, until it crashes then go back to the one that worked and thats your max overclock.