Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

My performa won't talk to its keyboard OS9

• Please log in to reply

randy bader

randy bader

• Pip
  • 2 posts
This is my first time so I'll do my best and I hope someone out there can help. I just bought a new mac mini sooo I thought that I would set up my old performa at my shop it has a 2gig hard drive and a os9 operating system. After I reconnected it the first day it worked ok then the trouble started. The mouse pointer appears on the screen and moves just fine but clicking it is of no use. Also the key board dosen't work at all. So I had to turn off the electricity to turn of the mac ( the force quit button on the back wouldn't work and none of the keyboard quits worked) Now comes the odd part at least for my computer limited mind. The next time I tried to restart the mac I get the dialogue box that tell me "your computer was shut down incorrectly I will verify your disc and correct any problems" at the completion of this the dialogue box has a "done" button this is the only time the mouse click works I can push the done button and the computer boots up normaly all normal icons come up etc. But once booted up the key board and mouse again no longer work. I have tried cleaning the terminals of the mouse and key board. A suggestion from apple was to try a reinsall of the os9 system on trying this the dialogue box comes up so the cd drive is working but since I can't get the mouse to work once booted up I can't click the reinsall for os9.
The next question you might want to ask "why bother with a little tiny really slow mac with limited memory" the answer is I love my little old mac and along with its printer at my place of business I can print up all those forms that I always had to go home to do.
I cant remember how much ram we added but that was many years ago. The performa has worked flawlessly untill now and as I said earlier it worked fine after the intial set up. Once at the shop I discarded many files that were of no use such as my kids games and some documents I find it hard to believe that some how I tossed a vital part of the operating system. well thats about it got any ideas where to go grom here.
Randy

Advertisements