Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Computer won't POST

• Please log in to reply

Tchamber

Tchamber

• PipPip
  • 11 posts
Hey all, my computer decided to go crazy last night. I found a bunch of infected files last night, and was in the process of cleaning my computer of the virus, alcra.f or some worm like that, and decided I better disconnect my internet while I was doing it. As I was leaning behind my tower, I might have bumped my power button, I don't think I did, but the computer turned off, and when I tried turning it back on, it didn't post. I tried again, and no POST. Today I pulled the CMOS batt. and unplugged it, then tried turning it on again. It POSTed, but then didn't boot. It's done that a couple times now. Please help a guy out! TIA,
-Tyrell

Advertisements

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
when it posts...what happens...error messages? Sounds? Beeps? Does the hardware setup detect all drives?

C'mon man, throw us a bone :tazz:

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Now the darn computer, when I go into CMOS, says it only has 77MB installed. I have 1GB, and I've already checked all the connections, made sure the memory is seated properly. WTH is going on?

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
OK, one error message does pop up, says Floppy Drive Failed", but I haven't had a FD for more than a year, and I reset the BIOS to DISABLED, so it shouldn't matter. Then it says F1 to continue, or DEL to enter Setup. Either way, the computer won't boot.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
OK, the 77mb is clearly odd...the other message does not surprise...since you pulled the cmos batter you reset your bios defaults and the default is the floppy is on and enabled.

OK, so you reset that to disabled and that message does not exist?

What kind of motherboard is this? Remove the ram and reseat

Are you getting any beeps?

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
It's an ASUS P4T, the very first ASUS P4 mobo, it's a socket 423, before they went to 478 :tazz: After resetting BIOS to Disabled, the Floppy drive Failed message still appears. Please don't tell me I need a new mobo. I'll pull the memory and put it back in now.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Do mean set the LEGACY DISKETTE A to NONE from 1.44mb, 3.5"
?

There is no DISABLED for this motherboard setting

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Actually, there is a Disabled option. Under boot, default boot device 1 is Legacy Floppy, which I have set to Disabled. Device 2 is my pri HD, 3 is my DVD burner.

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
Sorry, I was getting ahead of myself, you're right, I was on the wrong screen for disabling the floppy.

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
how is the memory situation now?

Tchamber

Tchamber

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
No change, I am pretty much resigned to buying a new mobo/cpu/ram combo.